Communications and Marketing
Regular, Full Time
Reporting to the Project Manager (Drupal 8), the Web Specialist is responsible for coordinating and strengthening UNBC’s official website, considered a main portal for prospective students, and a valuable information dissemination tool. The Web Specialist participates in the development and maintenance of the University’s digital media, working primarily with the Drupal content management system. This position works closely with various departments and degree programs to ensure content is accurate, accessible, engaging, and reflective of the University’s mission, vision, and brand.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Managing the architecture and navigation structure of the website to continually improve the user experience in terms of web design, consistency, usability, and accessibility;
- Applying principles of graphic, interactive, user interface, and information architecture design to optimize the presentation of information on the website;
- Collaborating with the Communications and Marketing team to implement ongoing improvements to the University’s content management system, Drupal;
- Developing, testing and implementing new functionality on the website that enhances the user experience for both website editors and visitors;
- Liaising with the UNBC community to support online activities that enhance the University’s profile;
- Developing, maintaining, and facilitating training sessions for staff, faculty, and students on how to use the digital techniques and web technologies used at UNBC and how to appropriately develop and present content on the website;
- Managing the content on select promotional sections of the UNBC website, including the Homepage, About UNBC, and others;
- Monitoring, analyzing, and reporting on digital media usage, interpreting and disseminating web statistics, and providing recommendations and implementing solutions that improve website usability;
- Acting as a technical and operational support liaison for the website and guiding website editors on issues pertaining to the development and maintenance of content on the website;
- Coordinating web page design, reviewing content to ensure consistency and quality, and testing websites to ensure proper web functionality;
- Developing and implementing search engine optimization strategies;
- Developing and implementing web accessibility strategies;
- Contributing to the marketing strategies, content development and integration of social media channels and other digital media with the UNBC website;
- Keeping up-to-date on current web and digital media trends and standards, and making recommendations that advance the University’s digital presence;
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- An undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline;
- 3+ years of related work experience in web strategy and digital communication;
- Demonstrated experience in producing and preparing content for the web, supporting web content management systems, organizing website information architecture, and web design;
- Experience with the Drupal CMS, particularly with Drupal theming, is an asset;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Strong problem solving and time management skills.
An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
This position has been classified at a Grade 9. The annual salary range for this position is $56,869.82 - $59,230.03, and the normal starting salary will be $56,869.82.
Normal hours of work will be between 8:30am – 4:30pm Monday through Friday.