As our next full-time UX designer, you’ll be joining our Edmonton, AB or Vancouver, BC team.
Who we are
Yellow Pencil is a web design and development shop based out of Edmonton, Vancouver, and Toronto. We work on big content problems for big (and big-ish) organizations.
We collaborate with clients to build web experiences that are sustainable and work for everyone, everywhere.
- We work as a team
- We master our craft
- We keep improving
- We respect and encourage ideas
Working at Yellow Pencil means:
- A constant commitment to learning and growth
- Delivering the highest quality work possible on every project
- A people-first workplace. We want you to love being here as much as we do
- Work/life balance. We like that people have lives outside of the office
- A team of great people that love each other (just not in “that” way)
- An endless supply of fruit and snacks, and the occasional high five
- Laser cat murals. Just sayin’
Who you are
We care about our culture here at YP. Your personality is just as important to us as your qualifications. We’re looking for somebody who is:
Interested and motivated
Our industry is changing every second. We need you to be ready, willing, and excited to keep up with it.
Already awesome, but ready to be awesomer
Be ready to get your hands dirty (not with actual dirt. Intellectual dirt). We won’t tell you what to do, we’ll collaborate with you to discover the best way to do it.
Always trying to get better
Training and development are a huge part of our values. We want you to be good at what you do, but we also want you to look for ways to get even better.
Ready to make an impact
The best part of Yellow Pencil? Anyone can help change how the company works. Got a better idea? Shout it out. Thought of something new? Make it happen.
Good on paper
Okay, your qualifications are important too.
- 5+ years experience with web interface projects and interaction design
- 5+ years experience with enterprise content management systems
- 5+ years experience with information architecture and content modeling
- You should have the ability to take a project from strategy to becoming a real thing
- You should have a passion for mobile and responsive interface design.
- You should have a strong working knowledge of industry standard wireframing tools
- You should be familiar with WCAG and Section 508 accessibility standards
- You should have a knack for problem-solving with clients
- You should have the ability to create entire sentences from acronyms
- You should have visual and web design experience
- You should have experience with small screen-first responsive web design and front-end development best practices
- You must have top drawer written and verbal communication skills
But hey, if your background doesn’t quite match up with this list, but you know you’ll be a perfect fit – tell us why. We’ll listen.
We’re looking for a seasoned full-time User Experience Designer. At Yellow Pencil we have a flexible work environment, benefits you need and love, and unlimited… yellow pencils. It’s all true.
We’re looking for someone with a good understanding of User Experience, Information Architecture, Web Standards and Accessibility, and Mobile and Responsive Design. If you know how to pair plaid with gingham, that would also be awesome.
You’ll play a key role collaborating with Business Analysts, Content Strategists, Visual Designers and User Experience Specialists to make a better web. So, hopefully you like people. Our development team is dedicated to implementing technical solutions to support our designs—and you’ll be part of guiding that.
- Use a whiteboard marker to solve all the problems
- Work as part of the discovery team to identify business, design, and user requirements
- Lead UX Design workshops
- Define navigation, interaction and UI systems including flows, sitemaps and wireframes
- Perform user testing, which includes creating test scripts, running sessions, and telling everyone what it all means (the report)
- Help guide and perform competitive audits to review and document best practices in web and interface design
- Work with our Development team to review and document technical interface requirements and to map visual interface to content management system requirements
The thanks you’ll get
- Competitive compensation rates
- Compensation based on experience and performance goals set in annual reviews
- Feedback based on 360 degree reviews from your supervisors and peers
- Medical, dental, and extended health benefits
- Annual health spending account
- Monthly fitness subsidy
- Annual education allowance
- More company sports teams than you ever dreamed possible. Unless your dreams include more than two.