Are you an experienced UX Designer looking to test yourself with big challenges? Does the idea of joining a rapidly growing tech company excite you? If yes, read on!
Honesty and clarity are at the core of our design values, how we make decisions and deliver value to Thinkific customers. As a Senior User Experience Designer on the product team at Thinkific, you will be presented with unlimited growth opportunity. Curious, capable, respectful and collaborative? You can easily carve your own path as a designer here. At this point in your career you should be able to use just about any design tool out there or can quickly learn them depending on what problem you’re trying to solve. This roots back to the basics of sketching raw concepts and debating their merits before you get too caught up in screens. We love to workshop ideas together!
Perhaps most importantly in this design role, you must be an expert at soliciting, receiving and synthesizing feedback. We have a highly engaged company that cares deeply about our customers— they will have a valid voice of reason in what we do.
As a Senior UX Designer, you’ll work closely with product management, product marketing and engineering to identify and validate what problems are most important to solve for our customers and therefore, the business—and be expected to be able to fuel that partnership without being heavily managed from above. This is where the opportunity lies for you.
Can you facilitate and drive a meaningful, productive and effective path through the organization while maintaining confidence and a humble stance to raise your hand and seek guidance from leadership when you need it? If this all sounds “just scary enough” that you’re still feeling more excited than anything—we can’t wait to hear from you!
Some of your typical responsibilities might look like:
- Deliver meaningful and effective design solutions, on time without blowing scope. We all must master this. This means you own the process from sketching to user flows to wireframes to hi-fidelity visual design specs through to then overseeing the implementation of your designs and ultimately, releasing the feature.
- Lead your design practice with discovery and inquiry, then let the execution fall into place based on what you learn by speaking with customers and soliciting internal feedback
- Produce a wide range of proposed solutions and solicit more feedback until you find the most effective direction
- Work with product leadership to influence the roadmap
- Actively contribute to the design culture at Thinkific: share what you know and what inspires you. Be curious.
- Understand the importance of and seek to master the impact of giving and receiving feedback
- Be able to break down your designs into actionable tasks that engineers can estimate
- Work within established style guides but know when it makes sense to break patterns
- Understand the impact of your design solutions across the system, not just in the place you are focused on
- Fostering an open, collaborative, and inclusive environment for all design discussions and product feedback
Here are the "must haves" to be successful in this role:
- 5+ years specifically in a UX design role. Ideally 1-2 of those years being at a senior level
- Expert level experience with low-fi to hi-fi design process and the methods used along the way
- A strong portfolio of design work that you either created yourself or directed that exhibits small and large screen solutions
- The willingness and ability to learn and grow
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A foundational awareness and skill set built upon a broad range of UX design disciplines (sole focus on wireframing or visual design is not quite enough for this role)
Here are a few other hints that you might be the person we’re looking for (you match up with a number of these):
- Mobile app design experience
- A fundamental understanding of HTML/CSS/JS so that you can talk to developers effectively about solutions
- Experience conducting user tests and user research
We’re about the results of online learning and the people along the way! Thinkific is a software platform that enables entrepreneurs to create, market, sell, and deliver their own online courses. Our mission is no less than to revolutionize the way people learn and earn online by giving them the tools they need to turn their expertise into a sustainable business that impacts both them and their audience. We believe in meaningful, innovative work: we're building and expanding an incredible product that empowers course creators around the globe, while working collaboratively to learn and succeed together. Our customer support is the best in the industry and one of the main reasons educators love using Thinkific!
Why we think you’ll like working with us:
- Be part of a collaborative, driven team focused on building best-in-class software for one of the fastest-growing companies in Vancouver
- We offer competitive salaries, health/dental/vision benefits, and our Employee and Family Assistance Program helps to support your well-being
- We have an open vacation policy and flexible work environment… because sometimes you do your best work in slippers ;)
- Our office is stocked with snacks, coffee, and the occasional Friday beer and cider to keep you fueled
- We're dog-friendly and have many furry friends sitting nearby, ready to be cuddled
- We get together often for fun company events (we’ve flown to California, hosted family BBQs, conquered The Chief, gone rock climbing and put our heads together to tackle creative challenges at our Hackathons)
- We have an amazing existing team of talented engineers, marketers, designers, customer champions, and other tech industry pros that want to work with you
- Everyone has an equal opportunity to impact our product and company—we strongly value all of our people (the ones we work alongside and the ones we serve)
- We are passionate about education—we provide learning opportunities and encourage each other to continuously learn and grow through workshops, training, blogs, meetups, books and mentorships
- We provide a technology bonus for when you need to upgrade or replace your existing system
- We care about helping you grow your career AND your family. Family is important to us, and our paid parental leave provides you with a little extra help while you’re beginning this new adventure.
- We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what makes a company flourish. Thinkific welcomes all applicants regardless of race, gender, orientation, sexual identity, economic class, ability, disability, age, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, or status. We’re proud to be an inclusive company with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we embrace diversity. We welcome you!