The Communications Specialist develops, executes, and measures strategic external and internal communication materials to achieve department and University goals.
The Communications Specialist researches, writes, and edits stories and visual content (including photos) for projects including: news releases, web articles, feature stories, marketing collateral, web pages, photo essays, social media, magazines, internal communication materials, and video/multimedia scripts.
The incumbent works with Communications team members, contacts throughout the University, and UFV community partners to develop, publish, and measure the effectiveness of, communications materials and projects. In addition, the Communication Specialist acts as a liaison between the organization, the public, and the media to maintain the integrity and reputation of the university.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, visual arts, photojournalism, or a related field from a recognized institution.
- Superior photographic, verbal, and written communication skills, and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships by exercising tact and diplomacy while maintaining the highest levels of customer service and professionalism.
- Interpersonal and research skills: ability to interview people and draw out their stories, to sift through detailed and complex information and make it understandable and compelling for a general audience, and to deal with sensitive issues.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, and effectively handle changing priorities.
- Ability to write and produce photo content quickly in a professional setting, consistently adhere to defined style guidelines and edit others’ work to fit same and build quality content based on a thorough understanding of language, grammar, and composition.
- Ability to convey stories in different writing genres: i.e., “soft” and “hard” news, marketing, technical, web, scientific and other forms of writing.
- Understanding of and publishing experience with web-based content management systems.
- Familiarity and experience with social media.
- Functional aptitude with graphic design programs such as Adobe InDesign, Lightroom, and Photoshop.
- Photography skills desired.
- Issues management, crisis communications and speechwriting experience would be assets.
- Knowledge of post-secondary organization and structure is preferred.
Perfect your job application with VisualCV so you can get hired faster!