You love human interaction in videogames. The possibility of multiple gamers in the same playspace interacting and competing is what excites you most. From multiplayer modes to metagame and gameplay, you want to give users the best experience possible and constantly calling their friends to play again. It excites you to work with other departments to leverage core game systems and content in order to make meaningful multiplayer experiences.
At Capcom Vancouver, we are passionate about making engaging and compelling multiplayer experiences! We are looking for a senior online designer with a proven track record of designing and delivering online modes and gameplay in AAA action games. In this role, you will be expected to work with the Executive Producer and Design Director to understand and contribute to product vision. You must be able to communicate effectively with all game creation disciplines; leverage core gameplay systems and content effectively, design to the vision of the product, and spearhead the online team.
- Work directly with the Design Director and other members of the project’s leadership team to define the online vision for the game.
- Lead and mentor the online design team to drive the development of compelling online game modes and gameplay.
- Work with other area lead designers (gameplay, UI, level design, etc.) to ensure design alignment between online and other departments.
- Create detailed documents and visual materials that communicate design ambitions for online.
- Responsible for clearly communicating online design to art and technical departments.
- Drive implementation of online design, providing feedback and guidance to the dev team.
- Run regular game review sessions and other data-gathering exercises in order to gather the information necessary to refine and polish the multiplayer experience.
- Serve the team as an expert on competitive products and as an advocate for our core audience.
- Develop online concepts and treatments for multiple game areas.
- Communicate ideas with product development staff to solicit feedback and ensure support during prototype development.
- Clearly understand the product vision and brand goals and guide Online design efforts to match.
- Maintain strong working relationships with internal creative resources.
- Suggest online features, schedules and resource trade-offs.
- Maintain a high standard of quality of work throughout the development process.
- Your expertise spans the breadth of one area or across multiple areas. You could act as an online feature architect.
- Participate in hiring online designers.
- Understand dependencies between your own work and that of others across all areas and disciplines and adapt your work accordingly.
- Use time effectively.
- Communicate in a clear, positive and professional manner with staff at all levels.
- Focused and highly driven both as an individual and as a senior team member.
- Complete work successfully on or ahead of schedule.
- Able to solve increasingly complex problems and deliver top quality work.
- Can juggle multiple priorities and contribute to priority setting.
- 5+ years of experience.
- Have shipped at least one AAA title and have been credited in a lead designer role.
- Strong understanding of online game modes.
- Experience designing and implementing multiplayer gameplay.
- Awareness of how best to support online communities.
- Exceptional leadership qualities.
- Proven ability to document and communicate design ideas.
- Help define deliverables.
- Mentor individuals.
- Act as a role model.
- Take an active interest in enhancing current skills.
- Innovate in areas of craft and process.
- Demonstrate dedication, adaptability and accountability in your work.
- Operate within established procedures and best practices.
- Collaborate effectively with others in same discipline across feature groups and cross-discipline as required.
- Work closely with the leads group of all disciplines.
Come Join the Capcom Crew!
SAMPLE WORK A BONUS: Exhibiting your design and communication skills with examples of written or visual design documentation will help us assess candidates.