Kinark Child and Family Services is a leading child and youth service organization in Ontario, which provides a wide range of evidence-based services that include individual, family and group counselling for children and youth with complex needs and their families. Kinark’s three program streams include: Community-Based Child and Youth Mental Health, Autism, and Forensic Mental Health/Youth Justice.
Want to help children and youth with complex needs?
Come join our team!
Kinark: Helping children and youth with complex needs achieve better life outcomes.
We currently have an opportunity for a:
Senior Communications Specialist
Corporate Office (Markham)
Temporary, Full-Time – 35 hours/week (until January 2017)
Reporting to the Director, Policy and Planning, the Senior Communications Specialist is a key position in the agency as they will be responsible for providing expert communications counsel and services to support the delivery of Kinark’s communications strategies and for providing communication support to the senior leadership team. In addition, the Senior Communications Specialist is responsible for leading the planning, development and implementation of strategic communication plan and deliverables relating to community outreach, public relations activities and events, media relations, stakeholder relations, internal communications, branding, and social media management.
Duties & Responsibilities (are not limited to):
- Develop an understanding of the organization’s audiences and their interactions with the organization.
- Identify opportunities for improving communication vehicles and delivery mechanisms.
- Manage relationships with stakeholders to ensure project/communications deliverables and expectations are effectively managed and any issues are resolved.
- Manage and coordinate timely responses to media and public inquiries on all mediums to ensure a consistent approach to all aspects of communications;
- Provide communications expertise and support to program office directors and other internal clients.
- Act as a media spokesperson on an as needed basis.
- University degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or Marketing or in a related field.
- Minimum 5 years work experience in communications, public relations, journalism or marketing, preferably in the child and youth mental health/government agency.
- Experienced in strategic communications planning, public relations, issues management and event-planning.
- Thorough understanding and experience in media relations, marketing and outsourcing media projects.
- Ability to identify and provide expert guidance on emerging public issues and appropriate responses, including responses to adverse criticism from the media, industry, stakeholders or the general public.
- Superior experience in writing and implementing corporate social media and online engagement strategies with a focus on content marketing.
- Well-versed in a variety of online communications tools, including social networking platforms, blogs, podcasts, pictures, video, rating and social bookmarking tools.
- Superior oral and written communication, influencing, negotiation and presentation skills; ability to deal effectively with all levels of staff, the public, agencies and organizations.
- Ability to function independently and as a member of multi-disciplinary team.
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship and team building skills.
- Strong organizational, project management, conflict-resolution, problem solving and leadership skills required.
- Advanced Microsoft Office, understanding of print and web publications, and familiarity with graphic design, layout and document production.
- Travel is required for this position, the successful candidate must have a valid Ontario driver’s license, access to a reliable vehicle and be willing to obtain automobile insurance which includes driving for business purposes with a minimum liability of one million dollars
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check (including a Vulnerable Sector Screening) and Pre-Employment Medical.
- Candidates Bilingual in English and French will be given special consideration.