Ontario Greenhouse Vegetable Growers (OGVG) is a not-for-profit organization representing over 220 members who grow greenhouse tomato, cucumber and sweet pepper crops in Ontario, Canada.
OGVG was formed in 1967. The organization lobbies and conducts research on behalf of the Ontario greenhouse growers. OGVG also promotes greenhouse vegetables through various media and tradeshows.
The Ontario Greenhouse Vegetable Growers (OGVG) has an immediate need for Marketing Specialist to develop and deliver a marketing plan to ensure that the Broader Public Sector becomes aware of the benefits of sourcing produce from the growers of Ontario greenhouse vegetables.
20 Week Contract November 21, 2011 to March 30, 2012
Marketing Specialist (Ontario Broader Public Sector)
Relevant Work Experience:
Minimum of 5 years marketing experience, with food service and produce understanding preferred. Knowledge of government institutions providing food service would be an asset.
University degree in a related discipline of Business or Marketing, or equivalent practical experience. Private consultants welcome.
Commensurate on experience
Greater Toronto Area
Job Description and Purpose of Position:
- The primary purpose of this position will be to provide education and outreach to public sector institutions that manage a food service component in order to influence their decisions on procurement of local produce.
- It is the objective of this position/project to assist in increasing sales and economic viability of the greenhouse sector while providing Ontarians with access to healthy, local produce through these public institutions. OGVG member growers supply high quality English cucumbers, tomatoes and bell peppers on a nearly year round basis implementing current food safety and traceability programs while also representing a scope of supply that can meet the requirements of most of these institutions. It is apparent that the benefits of greenhouse vegetables and their ongoing availability are not widely known in the broader public sector and it the intent of this outreach to provide information on the availability and benefits of Ontario greenhouse vegetables.
1. Assist in the development and implementation of a marketing strategy identifying the key stakeholders in the Ontario Broader Public Sector and determine how to influence their procurement processes to include Ontario greenhouse grown vegetables. A work plan will need to be developed on how an outreach program will be implemented within the time constraints of this program period.
2. Through the course of this project, the specialist will work with OGVG management, staff and the Marketing Committee to ensure the objectives of the project will be achieved.
3. To meet one-on-one with key public sector decision makers, participate in tradeshows and to develop a portable “education kit” to assist in educating the broader public sector about Ontario greenhouse produce.
An acceptable candidate should have:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in marketing.
- A university degree in marketing and/or business and working within food service and/or fresh produce horticulture would be preferred.
- Experience in sales, marketing and communication within the fresh produce industry also an asset.
- Experience in working in a not-for-profit setting with committees and a Board of Directors considered an asset.
- Strong collaboration, facilitation, communication, presentation and interpersonal skills to foster effective partnerships and integrated networks along the value chain are required.
- Project management and time management skills and the ability to work independently, and/or within a team environment as necessary, within stringent and conflicting deadlines are necessary.
- Familiarity with grant reporting requirements and expectations.
- Valid “G” driver’s license and reliable vehicle.
- Must be willing to travel.