Marketing & Social Media Consultant freelance
Since its founding in 1994, Hot Docs' achievements and growth have been considerable. Now recognized as North America's largest documentary festival, conference and market, it has earned an international reputation for excellence, innovation and success.
Hot Docs' mission is to advance and celebrate the art of documentary, and to showcase the work of and create production opportunities for documentary filmmakers. A national, charitable arts organization, Hot Docs screens Canadian and international documentaries to the public and delivers professional development, market and network opportunities to documentary professionals through its annual documentary festival, conference and market, and other complementary activities.
In addition to live events, Hot Docs has rapidly expanded its online profile through increased efforts at online community building, content partnerships and the creation of VOD websites for both the industry and public. In the fall, Hot Docs will launch a beta version of a website to host crowd-funding campaigns for documentary film projects in production.
Project Description and Team
Hot Docs seeks an experienced online marketing and social media consultant to conduct an extensive review of the organization's current online properties and activities and to prepare a comprehensive report outlining detailed short-term and long-term strategies and recommendations for:
- increased online brand visibility and awareness;
- better alignment/integration of existing online properties and related content partnerships;
- the successful introduction of new online properties and content partnerships;
- better integration and use of social media in support of online activity.
It is expected that the report will encompass, but not necessarily be limited to, assessments of current:
- online advertising strategies;
- interface design and content positioning in Hot Docs websites;
- e-mail and social media communication strategies;
- traffic patterns to online properties.
The ultimate goal for the report is to offer strategies that will drive traffic and to increase online user participation as measured by:
- increased ticket, pass, and DVD sales;
- increased online film views;
- increased philanthropic support.
The consultant will work closely with the associate director of communications in preparing the report, and will have access to senior management for consultation, as needed.
Background: Online Properties and Content Partnerships
Hot Docs online properties include:
• Hot Docs Website (www.hotdocs.ca)
o The main site for the organization's year-round activity, encompassing information on the festival, the industry conference and market, the national Doc Soup series, Hot Docs production funds, and youth and educational programs.
• Doc Library (www.hotdocslibrary.ca)
o A free archive of classic Canadian documentaries that also includes short works by young filmmakers and video capture from Hot Docs' industry conference.
• The Doc Shop Online (www.docshoponline.ca)
o An online market for documentaries that's open to registered broadcasters, distributors and other buyers.
• TBA crowd-funding site (fall 2011)
o A crowd-funding site/micro-site to assist documentary projects raise production funding.
Content partnerships include:
o Hot Docs branded room offering downloads of past official selections.
• Kickstarter (http://www.kickstart..es/hotdocs)
o Hot Docs curated page housing fundraising campaigns for documentary film projects.
o Hot Docs Collection line of DVD available in stores and online.
Social media properties include:
• Hot Docs Twitter Feed (6396 followers)
o Hot Docs Forum Twitter Feed (62 followers)
o Hot Docs Volunteer Twitter Feed (94 followers)
o Hot Docs Director of Programming Twitter Feed (287 followers)
• Hot Docs Facebook Group (3300 friends)
• Hot Docs YouTube channel
• eBulletin subscriber base of 36,917 (22,076 industry subscribers, 14, 841 public subscribers)
Project Budget and Timeframe
The budget for this project is in the $6000 range. This is intended for cover all fees and expenses.
The approximate time for the project is as follows:
June 13: Request for Proposals distributed
June 13-July 5: Hot Docs available for consultation on project details and desired results
July 5: Deadline for Hot Docs to receive proposals
July 13: Consultant contracted
July 13-29: Research and data gathering
August 1: Initial Findings
August 12: Report delivered
August 19: Debrief and questions
SUBMITTING YOUR PROPOSAL
Please include with your proposal:
- a letter of interest
- a resume or company profile, with select client list
- an outline of the approach and process that would be used in researching and compiling the report
Proposals are due on Thursday, June 30. Should you need additional information or clarification on any of the details in this RFP, please contact: