Make Your Mark in Tourism!
The Ontario’s Highlands Tourism Organization is looking for an energetic, creative and experienced Marketing Manager to collaborate with a diverse and passionate tourism industry to offer memorable tourism experiences to the world. Our region stretches as far west as Haliburton County and as east as the Ottawa Valley. We are known for our iconic waterways, picturesque rural towns and villages, pristine wilderness and scenic landscapes and above all - our people. This position provides the opportunity to apply your skills in a dynamic and rewarding environment. For more information about our organization, visit www.ohto.ca
The Marketing Manager is a full time position, reporting to the Executive Director, responsible for developing, coordinating, implementing, and evaluating the organization’s tourism marketing and media relations strategies. The position works in collaboration with the OHTO team and will lead and manage the agencies, resources and contracts related to the tourism marketing and media relations program.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads the development, management, implementation and evaluation of consumer marketing and media relations strategies. The scope of work includes digital asset development, social media, advertising campaigns, branding initiatives, travel media and public relations and strategic partnerships related to the organization’s target markets and product offering.
- Writes creative briefs and communicates approvals regarding which creative concept and media will best reach the targeted consumer market segment and achieve a high return on investment. Monitors the creation of the final products to ensure that all required branding, calls to action and accurate interpretation of the annual marketing plan are incorporated into each campaign. Tracks and evaluates campaign performance, and expenditures.
- Develops, negotiates and administers contracts including developing specifications, reviewing tenders (both regular and invitational tenders) and recommending the awarding of contracts, and leading annual performance reviews of the Agencies. Authorizes expenditures within delegated authority.
- Works in collaboration with the Communications Coordinator to ensure communications align with marketing and media relations objectives and tasks are completed in an effective and timely manner.
- Responsible for staying abreast of tourism consumer marketing, industry trends, best practises, media selection, broadcast, online marketing, and print media buying and evaluation. Provides research-based advice to industry to assist them in developing and producing interactive tourism-related promotional materials
- Establishes standards, implements tools and measures the effectiveness of marketing activities.
- Manages the collection of photography and film assets needed for consumer marketing programs. Ensures assets are on brand but also appropriate for use in other partner programs.
- Leads, develops and implements cooperative marketing, promotional and partnership programs.
- Represents the organization on both external and internal committees and coordinates joint initiatives with industry and other government agencies. Drafts briefing notes, position papers and final reporting as required. Participates in the development and delivery of audio-visual and other presentations.
- Contact with tourism industry stakeholders within Ontario’s Highlands and in other jurisdictions to share intelligence, build relationships that will assist with the development, implementation and evaluation of consumer marketing programs;
- Ongoing contact with agencies and contractors to develop and manage a diverse variety of consumer marketing programs, campaigns and projects;
- Contact with provincial government agencies (particularly OTMPC), to gather information and fact-check information for inclusion in marketing materials and to explore new marketing opportunities and leverage partnership investments;
- Contact with various tourism partners within the region to collaborate on projects, gather and confirm information; and
- Contact with internal and external stakeholders to communicate the various marketing programs and report on results.
- Contact with internal staff to collaborate on the execution of marketing and media relations programs.
The Annual Budget under direct control of the position is $275,000. The position has the authority to reallocate resources within delegated authorities and budget parameters.
The position will lead development and delivery of a variety of consumer marketing projects which will attract revenues and value-added benefits to OHTO. These programs will enhance revenues for Ontario’s Highlands businesses and in other cases will expand the reach and impact of programs delivered by sub-regional partners.
The OHTO has entered its fourth year of operations, is membership based (730 members), and is governed by a Board of Directors. Four staff positions are in place to develop and execute the operational plan to achieve the strategic goals as established by the Board. Internal resources are limited, and therefore, the position must rely more heavily on suppliers and other industry contacts to fully support projects. While an option to work remotely will be available, there will be a necessity to travel periodically to the office as well as to various stakeholder events (average 10 times/year for day trips) and conferences (average three times/yr for 2- 3 days).
- University/College degree in Marketing and Communications or equivalent work experience
- Minimum five years direct work experience in destination marketing and communications
- Familiarity of destination marketing research and trends, and experience working with leading organizations such as the Canadian Tourism Commission (CTC) and Ontario Tourism Marketing Partnership (OTMPC)
- Experience developing marketing plans and purchasing media with and without an agency.
- Understanding of the development and production of marketing and media relations collateral, including websites, mobile applications, and printed materials.
- Effective understanding of latest technologies, including social media tools and Youtube and ability to identify how to apply them towards marketing efforts.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Strong initiative and project management skills.
- Experience managing and evaluating staff and suppliers.
- Experience developing partnerships and strengthening relationships
- Computer literacy is required; particularly word processing, spreadsheet, internet applications, graphics suites, and Word Press.
- Valid driver’s license and immediate accessible transportation.
- Bilingualism considered an asset
Monday, September 30, 2013