The Overwaitea Food Group is a dynamic member of the Jim Pattison Group of companies. Located in Langley, BC, we support over 125 unique stores in 6 banner formats (Save-On-Foods, Cooper’s Foods, Overwaitea Foods, PriceSmart Foods, Urban Fare and Bulkley Valley Wholesale) across both BC and Alberta. With over 14,000 team members and one of the longest serving team member bases in the retail industry, our team is committed to fulfilling our mission of “Always Customer First” and maintaining our core values of People, Service, Innovation, Fun and Integrity.
With strong roots as Western Canada's leading independent grocer, the Overwaitea Food Group has been continuously growing since its beginnings in 1915 in New Westminster, BC. Since then, we’ve honoured our commitment to offering customers exceptional value and service that consistently exceeds expectations. We're proud of our commitment to doing the right thing every day: for our customers, for our communities and for our people.
In a continually evolving market, we're finding new and exciting ways to offer customers in the diverse communities we serve the products and services they're looking for. Whether it’s tailoring our stores to meet the ethnic diversity of a community, striving to bring more and more relevant local products to our shelves or offering new ways of making our customers’ lives easier through emerging technology solutions, we’re committed to maintaining a strong bond with our communities and finding the right people to help us maximize these opportunities.
We’ve emphasized our commitment to providing our customers with the service and products that they need in numerous formats, including our world recognized Richmond PriceSmart Foods where we have created a truly “East Meets West” shopping experience as well as focusing on our passion to support our local growers and suppliers through our “Talk About Local” ad campaign.
To support this growth, the Overwaitea Food Group is hiring a Marketing Manager.
The Marketing Department
Working alongside one of the most dynamic marketing teams in the industry, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to work in a fun environment, working on one of Western Canada’s largest brands, with the support to create world class marketing to drive growth for the organization and it’s people.
Times are changing in the Overwaitea Food Group marketing department as we look to leverage every available media resources from TV to social media to flyers to events to create a distinct and unique brand.
This position reports to our Director of Marketing, Gillian Yorke who has over 10 years of experience with the Overwaitea Food Group and who manages a team of 18 including traditional marketing, in-house creative team, production team, and our in house photo studio. In addition, this position will work closely with our agency partners, Gillian has lead numerous innovative campaigns, including the recently launched “Talk About Local” campaign (http://www.saveonfoods.com/local)
Gillian is supported by Dan Howe, the Vice President of Marketing, Communications and More Rewards. Dan was recently added to the executive team at Overwaitea Food Group to inspire the team and drive future growth. Dan is a diversified international marketing executive with experience working in retail/hospitality, packaged-goods, and marketing research consulting. Dan previously worked at Yum Restaurants International where he held the role of Chief Marketing Officer in Canada and also working out of Geneva Switzerland held the CMO role managing 25 countries in Europe.
Under Gillian and Dan’s leadership, the culture of the team is focused on driving personal learning and development, having a fun work environment, managing the brands through strategic discipline and creativity and delivering excellent results for the organization.
Working closely with this highly skilled and motivated team, you will help to assist in the continued efforts to leverage the company’s marketing campaigns and take them to a new level.
Reporting to the Director, Marketing, the Marketing Manager is responsible for the development and recommendation of annual marketing plans as well as the development and implementation of various advertisements for multiple brands, programs and promotions. The successful candidate will help evolve and grow the Overwaitea Foods Group’s brands and marketing campaigns and target new and existing consumers while leveraging new marketing vehicles in numerous digital spheres.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Marketing Manager is responsible for the development and recommendation of annual marketing plans on multiple grocery brands in BC & Alberta, as well as for the implementation of the approved plans.
- Develops, oversees and implements advertising for multiple brands, programs and promotions, working with internal production and creative team and various agency partners to execute creative.
- Day-to-day management of marketing programs, including making recommendations on the advertising, consumer promotions, merchandising and sponsorship needs of the brands.
- Lead Shopper Marketing and communication with merchandising and supplier partners for joint marketing promotions.
- Plan and execute Direct-to-Consumer (D2C) strategies to maximize acquisition of new consumers via collaboration with internal marketing teams, development teams, and agency partners.
- Analyzes and assesses any key business issues in order to develop marketing plans to deliver sales targets.
- Leads the development and execution of new store opening marketing plans.
- Ensure consumer insights are provided during the development of marketing initiatives through qualitative and quantitative research when required.
- Accountable for marketing budgets.
- Provide management and career development for a team of Brand Specialists.
- Maintain and develop collaborative partnerships with agency partners.
- Supports Director, Loyalty Marketing with other projects as required.
- 5-10 years+ marketing experience working in consumer packaged goods environment, grocery or retail industry - Marketing / Business Degree.
- A seasoned marketer with the ability to take on bigger future roles in the next 2-3 years.
- A strong knowledge of marketing to multi-cultural consumers.
- Must have broad experience and understanding of all facets of the marketing discipline including market research, brand strategy, product positioning, pricing, promotions, sales and distribution.
- Strategic leader and thinker with ability to create exciting, break-through marketing plans.
- Demonstrate ability to make analytical judgments with strong organizational and planning abilities.
- Demonstrated record of success in consumer marketing, service and/or digital direct-to-consumer experience a significant plus.
- Excellent Project Management skills: Managing a number of important projects at the same time is essential.
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders and negotiate agreements.
- Experience working on leading brands that have strong consumer awareness and interest.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask in a fast paced environment and meet deadlines.
- Detail oriented with strong analytical and problem solving abilities.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Creative and resourceful thinking marked by decisiveness.
- Creative problem-solver, self-motivated and self-directed.
- Some travel to retail stores in Alberta and British Columbia.
- Proficiency with PC applications (primarily MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint).
- Demonstrated team building orientation.
- Passion for food and retail.