As part of the TRU's Marketing and Communications team, this position is responsible for creating engaging content
that shares the TRU story online, in print and on social media. The Content Specialist will plan, create, edit and publish
stories that grow and support our community while ensuring that key strategic messages are consistent and
communicated effectively to target audiences. In collaboration with people inside and outside of TRU, the Content
Specialist will write, proofread and edit university communications in accordance with institutional standards, timelines
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Develop and implement a process for regular content generation and amplification across paid, earned and owned
2. Brainstorm creative ways to tell stories, exploring different formats and nontraditional structures (ie: photography,
Q&As, lists, FAQs, blog posts, emails, social media posts, news stories, etc.) plus video and multimedia.
3. Tailor content for TRU's target audiences including students, donors, faculty and the media following editorial style
and ensuring appropriate tone.
4. Develop and maintain content for TRU's website with the aim of informing and engaging the TRU community and
5. Proactively seek out user/reader feedback on their expectations of and/or experience with TRU communications;
monitor what is said about TRU online; and generate content ideas for new platforms.
6. Write, edit and publish e-newsletters and blogs. Collaborate with staff to develop and edit all digital and print
communications, such as student forms, emails, web FAQ's, One.TRU, myTRU portal news, social media channels,
and faculty/program promotional collateral.
7. Shoot and edit photographs designed to accompany stories in the Newsroom, on social media, and other channels
8. Use publishing software (Web Content Management system, Wordpress, Adobe Creative Suite, Hootsuite) to post,
share and distribute information.
9. Identify threats and opportunities in user-generated content surrounding the brand.
10. Optimize content on owned and earned channels through an understanding of how the words chosen impact
natural search traffic and rankings.
11. Research and keep abreast with trends and advancements in marketing as well as emerging communication
12. Make recommendations around new POV's and thought leadership pieces.
13. Provide public relations support including writing, conducting research and generating interest in products and
services through media releases and advisories.
14. Participate in strategic marketing and promotions planning and events.
15. Liaise with other staff and departments to ensure consistent messaging across all TRU communication channels.
Bachelor's degree in English, journalism, communications, advertising, marketing or a related discipline
Four years related experience, including:
- Creative writing
- Public relations
- Social media management, high traffic websites or blogs and other online communities
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE OR ABILITIES RELATED TO THE JOB
- Demonstrated creativity within a digital environment
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Exceptional writing skills and the ability to efficiently generate content with measureable ROI and value to
- community audiences (increased web traffic, media queries)
- Understanding of writing for the web, such as the use of keywords, hyperlinks, navigation and brevity, to meet the
- needs of visitors using tablets or smartphones
- Ability to balance creative needs with metric driven actions
- Excellent web research skills
- Ability to identify problems and opportunities in user-generated content
- Knowledge of search engine optimization, including basic keyword research
- Ability to name and tag posts based on research findings
- Ability to work in a Macintosh and Windows environment; proficient with Microsoft Office products; familiarity with
- Outstanding organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines
- Ability to deal courteously and tactfully with others
- Attention to detail, excellent editorial and exceptional English language skills.
- Requires sitting in front of computers for long periods of time
- Ability to lift weights up to 10 kg
- Some off campus travel required.
Diversity and Inclusion Commitment:
Thompson Rivers University is strongly committed to hiring based on merit with a focus on fostering diversity of thought within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, our faculty and its scholarship including, but not limited to, women, Indigenous, Black and People of Colour, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Perfect your job application with VisualCV so you can get hired faster!