Marketing & Communications Manager full-time
The Power Plant Contemporary Art Gallery at Harbourfront Centre is Canada’s leading public gallery devoted exclusively to the art of our time and is recognized as an important centre for contemporary art in North America. Over the past 20 years, its reputation for presenting cutting edge exhibitions, superior catalogues and editions, and challenging special events has remained unparalleled. Presenting contemporary art by practitioners of local, national, and international stature, The Power Plant's mission is to present and disseminate the best contemporary art in all and any media.
Currently an employment opportunity exists for a full time Marketing & Communications Manager. Reporting to the Director, this is a key position responsible for developing marketing and communication strategies and programs to meet organizational objectives to significantly increase engagement with The Power Plant as Canada’s leading contemporary art gallery and a recognised international centre of excellence as one of the world’s leading contemporary art galleries.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Develop branding and marketing strategies for The Power Plant and its programmes, products and services and oversee the implementation of these strategies, ensuring a high level of awareness of the brand values among stakeholder groups nationally and internationally
- Develop communications strategies, including institutional and programme specific strategies, to ensure the gallery and its programmes are effectively communicated and promoted to diverse audiences and groups
- Working in cooperation with the entire team, develops and implements new media strategies as a primary marketing tools, while maintaining and utilizing traditional print and electronic media campaigns.
- Project manage Development & Marketing publications, compile copy, negotiate advertising, coordinate print processes to ensure targets and deadlines are met. Research, write and produce communication and marketing support materials for each program, including ads, flyers, brochures, newsletters, etc. Distribute for comments and monitor implementation.
- Develop the website and other electronic communications and implement strategies to ensure targets are met
- Develop and implement revenue generation strategies, specifically in the communications and marketing area, to maximize all revenue sources including earned revenue, ticket sales, wholesale and retail services, venue rentals and special events, corporate sponsorship, membership and individual giving, government and foundation grants. Ensure business plans are in place and coordinate their implementation. Prepare written evaluations, final reports and financial reconciliations.
- Develop and implement partner development marketing and communications strategies aimed at growing the social and cultural relevance of the gallery and advocacy and support for its programmes nationally and internationally.
- Manage recurrent sponsorship contracts, agreements and fulfillment plans. Establish and nurture positive relationships with stakeholders, sponsors, partners, donors and foundations.
- Develop and implement membership and events marketing strategies, to maximize membership and donor enrollment, sponsor and donor satisfaction and engagement with the Power Plant.
- Develops and manages the department budget. Reviews requisition for items and approves within budgetary guidelines. Develop and oversee Marketing and Communication strategies and plans for fundraising and membership events.
- Measures results and evaluates effectiveness of the marketing plan for each program and project upon completion, using both quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Keeps current on marketing trends and tactics. Liaises with other departments and cultural organizations of a similar nature
- Learns to use Tessitura database to obtain data for ticket sales analysis and develop information capture strategies
- Plans, coordinates and evaluates the activities, programs and services of the department with other departments to ensure effective operations
The ideal candidate will be a post secondary graduate in an arts, marketing or communication programme with a minimum of 5 years’ related experience, preferably in the not-for-profit sector. Proven experience in sponsorship, customer service, communications and marketing in the private sector as well as experience with government and foundation granting procedures and individual giving and membership campaigns is a must. He/she must possess excellent writing and presentation skills, along with exceptional interpersonal and relationship management skills with the ability to develop effective partnerships as well as to persuade and negotiate. He/she must be an innovative and strategic thinker, highly motivated, organized and able to manage multiple priorities. Requires an understanding of not-for-profit cultural organizations, knowledge of print and web-based media. The incumbent must have excellent oral and written communication skills and must be computer literate with excellent word processing skills and familiarity with accounting methods. Experience in a visual arts organization would be an asset.