Founded in 1995, CBSR provides thought leadership and candid counsel to our members as they formulate powerful decisions and actions that improve business performance and contribute to a better world. We are passionate about our work in corporate social responsibility (CSR) and the work that we do with our member companies.
At CBSR, we pride ourselves on continuously building a vibrant and results oriented culture in which our team members can thrive. We are a small, energetic, and nimble organization, efficient with our resources and highly effective in the work we undertake. We seek team members that are: Passionate about the CSR agenda Self-motivated and able to balance multiple priorities and tasks Collaborative when appropriate, and able to work independently as needed Creative problem-solvers and focused on solutions Committed to producing only the highest quality products and services for our members Organized, effective time managers Continuous learners, embracing new opportunities to grow
Communications at CBSR
Everything that CBSR does involves a communications component--increasingly online. Our website is our 'public face' and our new member portal delivers rich content to our members. We interact frequently with our members and broader network through email, Twitter, and other online channels. While these activities require that we work on the cutting-edge of web communications, we continue to maintain traditional communications activities such as media relations, speaking engagements, and events that require consistent branding and messaging.
Primary Objectives of the Position
CBSR seeks an entrepreneurially-minded individual to manage its communications. The objective is to position CBSR as Canada's "go to" organization for corporate social responsibility counsel, resources and networking. This requires a multi-pronged communications approach that informs and engages our members, the Canadian business community, the broader national and international CSR network and traditional business media. The position requires a diverse range of responsibilities and skill sets.
1. Build CBSR's Online Presence: Build content and value of CBSR's public website and member portal. Analyze website statistics. Form partnerships to disseminate our knowledge more broadly. Increasingly facilitate knowledge flow to and from social media, such as Twitter, etc. Coordinate and manage website development projects (this implies a baseline understanding of available technologies and a strong understanding of which best suit different situations). Manage relationships with vendors (e.g., web developers, graphics designers). Explore and develop appropriate technologies for online interactivity and dialogue.
- Deliver timely and relevant member communications: Write newsletters, updates, web content and articles for CBSR members, the broader business audience and media. Develop and execute content management and provide editorial direction for CBSR knowledge products.
- Reinforce and evolve CBSR's Brand: Ensure consistency and relevance of CBSR's Brand (tone, quality and visual identify) in all print, presentation and online materials. Own CBSR's Key Messaging Platform and ensure it supports our Member Value Proposition and is consistently executed.
- Media Relations and Outreach: Build CBSR awareness among sustainability and business reporters. Coordinate writing and distribution of press releases, sometimes in collaboration with media managers from other organizations. Manage relationships with CBSR's public relations agent. Grow and nurture relationships with the CSR community, including cross-promotional activities. Develop and select speaking engagement opportunities that advance CBSR's priorities and strategies.
CBSR Team Members: Work closely with CBSR Senior Leadership and Staff
Professional Contacts: Interact frequently with executives, media and CSR practitioners.
Vendors: Manage deadlines, priorities, and budgets associated with third party vendors such as videographers, web developers, graphic designers, and social media consultants.
The ideal candidate possesses the following qualifications:
- A degree in a communications-related field.
- An advanced degree an asset.
- At least 5 years of experience managing communications.
- Experience publishing knowledge online and using social media an asset.
- Experience in business sustainability
- Excellent interpersonal, communications and organizational skills.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Strong understanding of executives' communications preferences.
- Demonstrated leadership, motivation, and ability to work independently.
- Working knowledge of French would be an asset.
Start Date, Term and Compensation
Start date negotiable (preferably in mid-June 2011).
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with skill, knowledge and experience level and the constraints of a non-profit business organization with a bonus and excellent benefits program in place.