Reports To: Director, Marketing and Communications
Status: Permanent full-time
Application Deadline: Wednesday, October 21, 2015
The Mental Health Commission of Canada (MHCC) is a non-profit organization created to focus national attention on mental health issues and to work to improve the health and social outcomes of people living with mental health problems and illnesses.
The Commission’s mandate for the first 10 years was to develop a Mental Health Strategy for Canada; to implement a ten-year Anti-Stigma/Anti-Discrimination program; to create a Knowledge Exchange Centre for the mental health field and to address homelessness in the context of mental health problems. It is currently working with the Federal Government to determine its mandate taking us to 2027.
The Commission has recently begun a strategic planning process to guide its work over the coming years. One aspect of its future is to create a Mental Health Action Plan building on the Mental Health Strategy for Canada. Other priorities will be to further its anti-stigma and anti-discrimination efforts and workplace mental health. Suicide prevention is also likely to be a major focus.
MHCC is hiring a French/English bilingual Marketing & Communications Coordinator to join the Marketing and Communications (MarCom) team in Ottawa. Reporting to the Director of MarCom, the Coordinator will assist in the development and implementation of a range of internal and external marketing and communications materials, support media outreach, and take on some administration/organizational tasks for the team. This role supports the Senior MarCom team members with writing and editing news releases, website and social media content, email marketing campaigns, outreach to stakeholder and media contacts as well as assist with research and development for the Commissions monthly newsletter. The successful candidate has an understanding of communications and marketing project management, print production, CRM database (Salesforce), and analytic gathering. The Communications Coordinator assumes overall responsibility for translation coordination including proofreading and quality control of all French documents. Equally important is the ability to work creatively within a team towards the successful conclusion of a project that is on brief, on budget, and delivered on time.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Execute tasks and projects on brief, budget and within established timelines
- Coordinate and execute communications and marketing plan activities
- Develop, edit and proofread various materials for traditional, social and digital media
- Coordinate and liaise with marketing supplier contracts
- Create and maintain content for online marketing channels
- Coordinate all translation requests including proofreading and quality control
- Assist in collateral design adaptation for various MHCC branded materials
- Develop and implement analytic reports
- Assist with event and conference planning
- Other duties within marketing and communications as assigned
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Fully fluent in French and English
- Ability to support the development of communications plans
- Implement communication and marketing tactics and report on analytics
- Writing and proof reading skills for traditional, social, and digital media
- Experience with administering and populating social media and digital channels
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office, BaseCamp, Adobe Acrobat, Salesforce and other related tools
- Able to coordinate and support the planning of media outreach, media relations and event planning
- Proven ability to coordinate and complete multiple projects simultaneously on tight timelines
- Experience with Salesforce Contact Relationship Management (database)
- Resourceful, fast-learner, and detail-oriented, with excellent communication skills
- Flexible to ensure deliverables are met in an environment of changing and conflicting priorities and deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff at all levels, and with design, communications, and printing services required
- Works independently with minimal supervision and within a team
- Adaptable, and has a keen interest in keeping current in field of work
- Creative and solutions-driven
- University or community college degree in marketing, communications, or related field
- Interested in social issues and the mental health cause
Values and Ethics
Respectful of Diversity
Teamwork and Cooperation
Health, Safety and Wellness (Physical and Psychological)
- Moderate periods of time spent in meeting type settings
- Extended visual requirements (5 plus hours) due to computer related work
- Extended periods of time spent in sitting position (computer work, meetings etc. 5 plus hours)
- High degree of concentration required
- Moderate level of stamina due to work time requirements with some requirements to work beyond 7.5 hour day
- Continuously deadline driven requirements
- Moderate level of multitasking
- Moderate exposure to stress resulting from output requirements.
- Moderate level requirement to maintain concentration for extended periods of time in order to perform analysis and interpretation of data and minimize errors.
- Adaptable to change (organization and work level)
- Moderate degree of emotional intelligence required in order to develop and maintain good relationships, communicate clearly, and work well in a team.
- Performance goals and objectives are established yearly and regularly reviewed.
The Mental Health Commission of Canada is committed to diversity in the workplace and workplace well-being. As such, applications from individuals from diverse backgrounds such as; First Nations, Inuit, and Métis, members of a visible minority group and those with lived experience of mental health problems or illnesses are welcomed and encouraged.