POSITION: Marketing & Communication Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Director, Marketing & Communication
STATUS: Full-time, permanent
LOCATION: Vancouver, BC
The Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation is the leading community-driven organization in Canada dedicated to creating a future without breast cancer. Our investments in innovative and relevant research and education have led to progress in breast cancer prevention, diagnosis, treatment and care. Since 1986, we have been at the forefront of a nationwide movement supporting and advocating for the breast cancer community. The Foundation works together with a passionate and generous network of individuals and organizations across the country that share and support our vision. Through donations, fundraising events, sponsorships, corporate partnerships, and volunteer efforts, the Foundation has invested $300 million towards this work – work that would not happen otherwise, and that is making a meaningful difference.
At an operational level, the Foundation carries out its work across Canada through the efforts of its five business units and their staff and volunteer resources: four regional offices in Atlantic Canada, Ontario, Prairies/NWT and BC/Yukon, and one Central Office in Toronto. Each of the five business units of the Foundation has defined roles and responsibilities within a shared-services organizational structure, maximizing operational efficiencies and delivery of consistent nation-wide messaging.
The Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation (BC/Yukon Region) carries out its mission through its own provincial Board of Directors, its volunteer-led regions across British Columbia, and its volunteers and staff.
Reporting to the Director of Marketing & Communication, and working collaboratively with the M&C Officer, as a member of the M&C team, the Marketing & Communication Coordinator will be a skilled multi-tasker and writer that supports the development, implementation, maintenance, and evaluation of the BC/Yukon Region’s overall marketing, communication and public relations functions and strategies. The M&C Coordinator provides marketing and communication-related support to the region’s Fund Development, Health Promotion/Cause, Grants, and Volunteer and Community Relations departments to achieve their desired goals/objectives. This individual has the ability to create marketing & communication plans (and within that, social media plans) for smaller scale projects and programs. Experience with graphic design to support creative services is also preferred.
- Supports production and dissemination of the Foundation’s collateral materials, including news releases, fact sheets and general brochures
- Provides the Creative Services Manager with production design support as needed
- Supports the marketing and communication activities of the other BC/Yukon Region’s departments (Fund Development, Grants, Volunteer/Community Relations, Health Promotion/Cause)
- Supports the Marketing & Communication Officer with tactics needed to fulfill M&C plans
- Proofreads/edits copy for sponsorship proposals, reports, health promotion and fund development campaigns, ads, the CBCF BC/Yukon Region blog (On All Fronts), letters, third party ads, brochure copy, etc.
- Writes copy for promotional e-blasts, social media, fund development ads, the CBCF website, invitations, printed programs, signage, forms, brochures, backgrounders, briefing documents, speeches, storyboarding videos, etc.
- Creates eblasts and web pages
- Provides full social media support (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Hootsuite) where applicable
- Plans, orders, manages and evaluates the health promotion/cause collateral for use as gifts or promotional purposes
- Manages the monthly e-newsletter (CBCF Express). This includes content, email creation & distribution, and uploading articles on the website
- Works with the Marketing & Communication Officer to manage all of the CBCF regional publications and/or videos from concept to delivery. These publications include, but may not be limited to, the annual report, monthly e-newsletters and videos that explain the work and accomplishments of CBCF
- Collaborates with the M&C Officer to provide media relations services for CBCF general (regional and pan-Canadian) initiatives by developing the media relations plan and then implementing it including writing news releases, pitching media, following up and providing media relations reports at the end of each plan/campaign; plus providing media training for those as required
- Responds to incoming media requests, and coordinates media interviews as needed, including the preparation of briefing documents for spokespeople
- Prepares speaking notes and messages of greeting for Foundation spokespeople and representatives
- Keeps up to date on media issues in the area of non-profit, cancer/breast cancer, etc.
- Maintains a working knowledge of the website content management tool and makes updates to the region’s website as needed, including community event notices
- Coordinates the production of various donor, volunteer and communication materials, including securing printer quotes, creating and working to a production schedule, editing copy, coordinating approvals of materials and scheduling delivery
- Assists with the development and implementation of region-wide communication support systems, including photo and video library/archives, the creation of standards for e-mail messages, and the development of template documents for use by all staff
- Maintains department files and filing system
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- College/University degree in communication, marketing, public relations or English, or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 2 years of experience in marketing and communication
- Graphic design experience including print production
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Must be comfortable working collaboratively with others
- Strong team-building and teamwork skills
- Strong computer skills including Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat Pro and Illustrator)
- Organizational, analytical and logistical support skills and multi-tasking ability
- Enthusiasm for developing an understanding of the breast cancer environment and the Foundation’s role in it
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively within a high-energy, service-oriented team environment comprised of staff and volunteers
- Ability to succeed under pressure and achieve quality results in a fast-paced environment
- Sound judgment and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Strong problem-solving skills and the willingness and ability to grow with evolving job criteria and challenges
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of HTML and content management software
- Experience in non-profit and/or fundraising environment an asset
- Experience with Adobe Elements and Adobe Dreamweaver
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Standard workweek is 35 hours, over 5 days, representing 8 hours at the office daily including a daily one-hour break. This position requires flexibility to work outside of regular office hours (i.e. evenings/ weekends) when necessary. Overtime, subject to approval by one’s supervisor, is compensated by flexible hours or time off in lieu according to the CBCF policy. Occasional travel across BC is expected for this position.