Marketing & Communications Manager
One of three professional schools within McMaster’s Faculty of Health Sciences, the School of Nursing offers undergraduate, graduate, and continuing education programs. As a member of a larger Faculty, the School of Nursing offers opportunities for interprofessional education and research.
McMaster University’s School of Nursing is one of Canada’s most research-intensive nursing schools, with world-class research faculty. A global leader in problem-based, student-centred learning and innovative research, the School works with universities and agencies from around the world to provide leadership in the development of nursing education programs and research. If you’re a skilled writer and editor who is comfortable creating and executing marketing strategy and generating content pieces, this is a unique opportunity to lead marketing and communications in the School.
Responsible for developing, implementing, and evaluating marketing and communication strategies designed to promote the programs, courses, services, events, and workshops provided by the department.
Representative Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop, manage, execute and evaluate marketing and communication strategies, campaigns and marketing plans with clearly defined goals, objectives, target audience, marketing mediums, and performance metrics that align with the strategic priorities of the department, in consultation with others.
- Design, prepare and distribute digital and print marketing materials including email campaigns, articles, advertisements, display ads, social media content, search engine ads.
- Write marketing and communications content such as articles, advertisements, emails, social media posts, promotional collateral, new releases targeting segmented and diverse audiences.
- Ensure marketing initiatives are communicated and keep project participants informed of project process through regular reporting and correspondence.
- Develop strong working relationships with key stakeholders, internal and external, to develop and implement comprehensive marketing programs, ensure deadlines are met and objectives align with department plans.
- Manage website, social media platforms and other digital assets to ensure optimization by applying best practices in content development, user experience, website architecture, search engine marketing and performance tracking.
- Manage, schedule and execute joint/partner promotional events, webinars activities, and publicity strategies for internal and external opportunities such as information sessions, speaking engagements and professional conferences.
- Design and execute marketing email campaigns, events and social media projects using CRM solutions and support departmental technology planning and implementations.
- Evaluate and measure marketing campaign performance that calculates awareness, enrolments and overall return on investment.
- Develop and deliver presentations for internal and external partners.
- Analyze, research and make evidence-based recommendations for future strategic approaches, campaign structures, and activities to further business and marketing goals.
- Develop and conduct surveys, facilitate focus groups, complete competitive reviews, industry trend analysis, and campaign testing across multiple market segments to support marketing and communication strategy development.
- Develop and monitor the marketing budget to ensure that proper spend, forecasting, reconciling, and allocating of expenditures are aligned, in consultation with others.
- Prepare cost and resource estimates for diverse marketing initiatives and events and ensure they meet expenditure spend requirements.
- Negotiate terms of service with various suppliers, agencies, distributors, and designers.
- Establish and maintain high-quality professional standards for all related output from the department
- Respond to inquiries and provide advice to others regarding new programs and the effectiveness of specific marketing and communication mediums.
- Remain current with marketing trends, developments in new technologies and social media platforms.
- Remain current with Canadian and international government legislation, ethical standards, and policy documents which relate to marketing, data collection, privacy, and accessibility.
Supervision: Ongoing responsibility for supervising up to 9 casual employees at any one time.
- Bachelor Degree in marketing, communications or related field of study.
- Requires 4 years of relevant experience.
The Marketing and Communications Manager role should be filled by an exceptionally skilled writer and editor whose profile includes:
- Knowledge of the Canadian Press style guide and journalism best practices.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, and the ability to create content quickly, creatively, accurately and for a variety of mediums while maintaining the highest quality.
- Ability to understand and distill complex academic information into plain language.
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Computer skills, including web development and social media expertise.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of marketing and communications, media relations and strategic communications planning.
- Ability to facilitate and work with diverse stakeholders, including faculty, staff, students, alumni, and executives/advisory board members.
- Strong project management and organizational skills to meet changing and time-sensitive deadlines.
- Graphic design, and photography experience, and/or experience working in an academic institution
This role is currently utilizing a hybrid model for work. Access to reliable home internet is required.
Perfect your job application with VisualCV so you can get hired faster!