Job Title: Manager, Digital Marketing
Job Number: X-303
Department: Marketing & Communications
Supervisor Title: Director, Marketing & Communications
Status: Full-time (35 hours per week), regular
Salary: $79,069 - $105,426 per annum
Location: Trent University Peterborough
Start Date: As soon as possible
Reporting to the Associate Vice-President, Marketing & Recruitment, the Manager, Digital Marketing has primary responsibility for the University’s digital marketing presence, including web and mobile sites, online advertising, webinars, e-communications, search engine optimization, analytics, integrated social media presence and those portions of the intranet overseen by Marketing.
The Manager, Digital Marketing acts as a change agent by providing digital marketing expertise underpinned by excellence in project management, and reporting. The Manager manages the Web team’s service to clients as they relate to the goals and objectives of the Marketing & Recruitment Portfolio and its key priorities of student enrollment, philanthropy, government and community relations, alumni relations, and internal and emergency communications at its Peterborough and Durham campuses.
- Working with the operating plan and other key strategic institutional documents, bears overall responsibility for the creation of a digital marketing strategy and fully-integrated digital, web and social media marketing plans.
- Responsible for the assessment of university-wide digital and web needs and workflow through planning and tracking complex web/digital-based projects.
- Drives innovation and planning on the use of the latest in digital marketing strategies and tools.
- Brings strategic foresight to the digital architecture and site planning at the various levels of programming, marketing and design
Digital/Website Evolution and Planning
- Chairs and oversees a Web Advisory Group.
- Manages the Web Team’s creation of a web redesign plan in partnership with Information Technology, Web Advisory Group and Project Team.
- Ensures rigorous attention to programming principles as the underpinning to sustainable digital/ web design.
- Responsible for the integration of a digital marketing governance document, that includes web governance, ensuring brand and quality standards in e-content management across the University.
- Manages the deployment of project plans, underpinned by solid project management principles and practices, for phased implementation across all digital marketing initiatives.
- Responsible for the University’s evolution and growth in digital marketing, adapting to new technologies and digital opportunities including implementation of new mobile versions, apps and widgets as well as social media connections.
Human Resources & Administration
- Manages the Digital/Web team and is responsible for overseeing the recruitment, training, and performance management of these positions, including database-driven web needs.
- Provides regular coaching and feedback and conducts annual performance appraisals for permanent staff.
- Provides parameters for the hiring, retention and use of contractors, consultants or suppliers in the digital/web areas of Marketing & Communications.
- Responsible for overseeing the digital marketing budget, associated planning, reporting and funds deployment.
- Trains Marketing & Communications Office staff as required as a result of deployment of new or enhanced web, e-communication, or social media systems and procedures.
Analytics and Reporting
- Responsible for the preparation of a digital marketing measurement plan for rigorous use of analytics and other available tools for digital marketing measurement.
- Provides regular reports to senior administration for use in strategic planning.
- Administers the creation of clear visual representations of trends, opportunities and plans for senior level presentations and reporting.
- Ensures that Web Team employs latest techniques in soliciting user feedback through online surveys and questionnaires, making recommendations for changes and updates based on results.
- Provides regular reports on the University’s performance in search engine optimization.
Search Engine Optimization
- Responsible for the creation of plan to ensure Trent University is among top “hits” for searches of Canadian and Ontario universities and post-secondary institutions, with a view to forging new ground for search success internationally.
- Ensures Web Team implementation of immediate plans for increased performance in this area.
- Contributes SEO expertise in key areas throughout the University including recruitment and admissions; philanthropy and other high profile and revenue-generating areas.
- Creates overarching plans for key clients to meet marketing goals through integration of e-communication with other digital and web strategies.
- Responsible overall for the design, implementation, measurement and follow-through on e-communications projects.
- Provides marketing oversight and collaborates with IT in ongoing development and evolution of the University’s intranet.
- Oversees creation of plans and strategies to achieve increased traffic to internal portals and readership of important institutional information.
- Works with recruitment manager and teams at both campuses to ensure smooth operation of webinars
- Responsible for improving brand identity and web design consistency on the intranet and overall improved look and feel.
- Ensures clarity and functioning, in partnership with IT, of intranet marketing tools such as delivery of internal news and the events calendar.
- Oversees content management plan on digital signage throughout the University.
- Acts as second alternate for emergency communications and participation in EOCG.
- Ensures seamless readiness for internal and external communication in the event of an emergency.
- Oversees the deployment of all digital communications tools to communicate continually throughout short-term and ongoing emergency scenarios.
- Ensures coverage and availability after hours for consultation on urgent matters involving digital communications.
Social Media Planning and Oversight
- Responsible for the creation of a pan-departmental, university-wide social media plan that harnesses the opportunities and reduces the risks of a splintered social media presence due to multiple university identities.
- Organizes web team action on opportunities presented by Marketing & Communication colleagues in media relations, marketing/communications as well as other University departments to build reputation and increase interaction and sharing of Trent success stories.
- Ensures implementation of the plan results in consistent, high quality, two-way dialogue about the University’s key strengths and benefits.
- Is a member of and/or provides advice to, the following Trent University internal committees:
- Communications Network (or Web Advisory Group)
- Website Project Team (lead for website redesign)
- AODA Committee
- Other committees arising out of strategic needs for the University’s digital marketing interests.
Honours University Degree (4 year) required. Business Administration; Marketing and Communications; Computer Science or related field would be considered an asset.
- Seven years of experience, at least three of which is progressively responsible experience administering digital marketing strategies.
- At least three years of experience in a management position overseeing web staff.
- Success in human resource management on complex digital marketing and web projects.
- Ability to provide detailed executive reporting on digital metrics and proven examples of use of analytics to guide digital marketing strategy and web development.
- Experience in working with cross-functional teams and liaising with IT departments.
- Experience developing brand-based standards and best-practices for social media, digital marketing, web content and email communications.
- Strong grasp of, and experience with, leveraging marketing opportunities in the digital domain, including campaign, process automation and customer relationship management tools.
- Experience negotiating with vendors and developing and managing a large budget.
- Demonstrated understanding and use of best practices, industry standards and adherence to legislated AODA and CASL requirements.
- Proven ability to engage, inspire, lead and motivate others.
- Critical thinking and analytical skills to enable assessment of opportunities; ability to integrate digital and traditional marketing communications programs to support goals.
- Strong customer service, interpersonal skills and a proven ability to build and maintain relationships.
- Excellent project management and time management skills, strong problem solving and analytical skills, high attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to adapt to change, take initiative, to be resourceful and dependable.
- Must be able to prioritize and possess excellent time management skills.
- User analytics and heatmapping (e.g. CrazyEgg)
- SEO monitoring tools (e.g. Moz, Whitespark, gShift Labs, Ahrefs)
- CRM applications
- Project management and advanced reporting tools (e.g. MS Project, Microsoft Visio or Omnigraffle, Microsoft Excel or Google Spreadsheets)
- Email marketing software (e.g. Constant Contact)
- Google Analytics
- Google Webmaster Tools
- Google Adwords
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Social media tools and trends
It is also considered advantageous to have high level knowledge of:
- MySQL and SQL reporting
- LAMP development stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP, JS)
- Drupal, Wordpress, open-source CMS applications