The Lead Creative Copywriter is responsible for providing creative copy leadership in the development and production of all CTR print advertising (flyers, catalogues, assortment/specialty catalogues, newspaper ads, and a variety of miscellaneous projects (e.g. posters, internal/external communications). The candidate will attend creative briefings/product information meetings with various internal teams that include Marketing/Category Advertising, Strategy & Advertising Integration and Creative Director/Art Director. The Lead Creative Copywriter works closely with the Art Director or Graphic Designer to develop creative ideas and execute them by writing consumer-focused/friendly, accurate and style-appropriate creative copy, while ensuring integration and alignment with creative objectives and strategy.
The candidate will manage In-house freelance copywriters, as well as interviewing and assigning freelancers for appropriate ad hoc projects, by providing creative direction, critiquing work and overseeing copy workflow. He or she also performs proofreading functions throughout various production stages to ensure consistency in copy style and type/graphic format, accuracy of information (product/price verification) and communication of copy changes. Creative writing skills, ability to prioritize, communication skills, thorough knowledge of all production stages and organizational skills are critical to the success of this position.
Creative concept/copy integration:
- Lead/create the overall copy direction for all assigned flyers, catalogues, newspaper ads and special projects from concept creation to final production, meeting creative objectives and strategies and adhering to corporate guidelines
- Attend creative briefings and product information meetings with Strategy & Advertising Integration, Creative Director/Art Director/Graphic Designer and Marketing/Category Advertising team
- Collaborate with Art Director/Graphic Designer to develop creative ideas that align with creative strategy and objectives
- Assess creative briefs, product information, legal/corporate requirements or policies and target audience to determine appropriate tone and style of concept/copy
- Pursue background research from a wide range of internal/external sources to get thorough understanding of project
- Write original, accurate concept/copy designed to engage and inform consumers while ensuring integration of creative objectives and messages
- Present concept/copy to Client and recommend most appropriate execution to fulfill creative strategy and objectives.
- Address copy changes and requests that require follow-up in terms of rewriting copy, making in-depth inquiries into product information, legal implications and compliance to corporate policy
- Throughout project, check copy for consistencies in overall copy presentation in terms of copy style, font and format, product information and pricing accuracy, in addition to the regular proofreading concerns of spelling, grammar, punctuation and adherence to established proofreading guidelines
Communicating With Internal & External Teams:
- Initiate/address copy concerns, then revise, implement and communicate copy changes that may occur at any stage of the production process to appropriate parties: Strategy & Advertising Integration, Art Director/Graphic Designer, Marketing team, external production team and French translators.
A critical creative eye, familiarity with catalogues and flyers, and the ability to multi-task and manage various projects and designers
- Creative writing skills, ability to prioritize while working to tight deadlines
- 6 + years’ experience in a creative copywriting role
- Ability to lead in a team environment as well as foster effective relationships with a wide range of people at varying levels of seniority
- Strong decision-making and problem solving skills, along with the ability to take independent action as required
- Agency experience is considered an asset
As a condition of employment, this position is subject to the successful completion of the following Pre-employment conditions:
- Reference Checks
- Criminal Background Checks