2 Year Term
TRIUMF is Canada's national laboratory for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business. TRIUMF is as diverse in our areas of expertise, people, and cultures, as we are in our career opportunities, and we are constantly seeking dynamic team players who thrive on creativity, excellence in service, and a busy environment.
Currently we have an immediate contract opportunity available for a junior level Graphic Designer / Digital Media Coordinator to join our Strategic Communications Team. As a member of the team, your primary role will be to utilize your amazing graphic design and technical skills to create and publish a range of content at the highest levels of quality, and to coordinate, create, and deliver compelling graphics and messages across a variety of platforms, particularly involving digital assets. You will also assist the team in implementing new visual brand standards and revitalizing TRIUMF’s digital presence, including the organization’s website, and in establishing processes to ensure the development and delivery of high quality communications products.
If you are looking to apply your talents while gaining valuable experience in graphic design and digital media, and if you are naturally curious about the world – including the people and events that motivate change, and about TRIUMF’s role in helping shape a better future – then you will want to explore this 2 year contract opportunity. Here is just a small sample of the work you will be doing:
- Producing professional, polished digital and print materials from concept to conclusion in line with TRIUMF branding - including the design, layout, artwork, and graphics. These include digital design for web and mobile platforms, social media assets, reports, promotional materials, facility signage, special event materials, internal communications collateral, and much more.
- Publishing finished content to a number of platforms - including the web, mobile, social media platforms, e-newsletters, PowerPoint, promotional material, posters, briefs, reports, etc.
- Editing and presenting content in accordance with TRIUMF’s branding and style guide, information architecture procedures, search engine optimization, and other best practices.
- Developing innovative visual storytelling ideas to capture TRIUMF’s unfolding narrative.
If you can demonstrate creativity while maintaining systematic processes; if you care about details, and have good writing and editing skills, and are an effective communicator, comfortable working with technical and/or scientific material; if you have an ability to grasp and apply nuance, as well as translate complex concepts into clear and relevant communications materials, then this may just be the opportunity you are looking for to enhance your future career. During an interview, our search committee will ask to view your current professional portfolio, and encourage you to elaborate on how your own personal skills, training, experience, and abilities match the following position requirements:
- Sound knowledge of existing and emerging digital media platforms, in addition to knowledge of technical solutions and troubleshooting techniques.
- Thorough understanding of how to leverage different media (e.g., web, mobile, print, social media, etc.) to tailor source content to its intended media to deliver accessible and compelling communications.
- Demonstrated planning and organizing abilities with experience in properly estimating time and resources required for work. Ability to manage multiple projects, effectively prioritizing and executing in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. Proven track record of coordinating and meeting tight deadlines.
- Ability to work both independently as well as collaboratively while maintaining effective working relationships with colleagues, external partners, and suppliers.
- Experience with event and portrait photography, in addition to photography and videography for social media platforms (e.g. Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
- Ability to think from the audience’s perspective, relate to needs and timelines of key contacts, and tailor messages in the best interests of each audience.
- Ability to work closely and communicate comfortably with diverse audiences throughout the lab and external communities.
- Professional demeanor; a strong customer service orientation; and effective interpersonal skills.
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suites and content management systems. Proficiency in Adobe Premier, Drupal, and video editing software is considered a strong asset. Strong familiarity with content management and basic digital technologies and software (e.g., Microsoft Office, Hootsuite, Google Docs, WordPress, etc.).
- Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada (Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident to be given preference).
As our ideal candidate, you will also have a diploma or Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in graphic design, digital media, or a related field, and at least 1 to 3 years’ experience in graphic design, digital media coordination, digital publishing, website design, and/or related fields.