Closing Date 8/29/2016
Reporting to the Marketing Manager, the Graphic Designer produces a variety of promotional and informational material to promote transit to its stakeholders and customers. Maintains an effective working relationship with other team members to provide technical advice, liaise with, and to meet the visual communication needs of various internal/external departments and agencies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. As a member of the graphic design team, performs a variety of duties related to the preparation and production of complex graphic material by:
- Utilizing industry standard graphic software (Adobe CS) to design, format and proof public timetables, supplements and related public information material
- Designing and/or producing transit merchandising or informational materials, newspaper advertisements, brochures, leaflets and promotional material such as signs, cards, exhibits, displays, presentations, etc.
- Preparing maps, infographics and images for planning studies and reports
- Preparing print-ready electronic files for delivery to external service providers, including all aspects of electronic pre-press.
- Preparing graphic materials for use in electronic media
- Conducting research to identify industry best practices
- Developing and revising the design of other collateral such as bus passes, manuals, business cards, etc., in accordance with BC Transit branding standards
- Organizing and/or conducting small photo shoots to populate a corporate image bank
- Works with marketing coordinators and other internal client departments to define their marketing and communication objectives, and develop ideas, images and visual solutions.
- Performs best practices in sourcing vendors for materials and ensuring record keeping that meet the BC Transit standards of operations:
- sourcing outside suppliers, obtaining quotes, raising purchase orders and confirming delivery
- ordering graphic supplies as required
- maintaining electronic files of maps and images for use in the production of graphic and marketing material
- Troubleshoots problems on Macintosh hardware and software, arranges external support as needed; may evaluate and recommend purchase of new or upgraded hardware and software as industry standards evolve.
- Performs related duties as assigned, such being items of a minor nature that do not affect the value of the job.
- Requires a minimum of a two year diploma in Graphic Design or equivalent, including both design and production aspects (e.g. electronic pre-press techniques), and training in design for print and electronic media.
- A minimum of three years doing graphic design in a marketing or advertising department, including work on both the creative and production components.
- This position requires the completion of a Criminal Record Check.
- Testing and assessments may be included as part of the recruitment process.
- This position is a bargaining unit position, COPE Local 378.
- An eligibility list may be established.
BC Transit Offers:
- Extensive group benefits (medical, extended health, life insurance) and pension program once eligible
- Fitness centre, health and wellness programs, and an employee and family assistance counseling program