Graphic Designer contract
Vancouver Film School programs focus on industries that use moving images, graphics, sound and text as fundamental components for communication, information and story. VFS programs regularly and continually evolve in response to the current industry methodology, technology and need. VFS offers world recognized, full-time, one-year programs in Film Production, 3D Animation & Visual Effects, Classical Animation, Digital Character Animation, Sound Design, Writing, Acting, Makeup Design, Digital Design, Game Design, Foundation Visual Art & Design, and Entertainment Business Management. These one-year programs are intensive, focused on the field of study and immerse students in industry-like settings and situations in order to best prepare them for work in their chosen field.
VFS is accepting applications for the position of Graphic Designer in our Marketing Department.
Who we’re after:
You’re ready to take on every challenge in a fast-paced, award-winning marketing department inside one of the finest entertainment arts schools in the entire world. You’re versatile and able to bring smarts, savvy, and style to an incredible variety of projects, big and small. You’re eager to bring your creativity to bear on the visual language of 13 diverse programs and work with a brand that’s won global acclaim.
VFS is currently accepting applications for the position of Graphic Designer. Working closely with our current design team and reporting to the Director of Marketing, the Graphic Designer is responsible for developing, establishing, and maintaining the visual brand identity of Vancouver Film School.
The Graphic Designer is responsible for developing the visual concept (most often in the form of print ads, posters and/or postcards) for a project that then will carry across a variety of outputs such as ads, posters, postcards, landing pages, designed emailers, banners and blog images. In some cases the process is reversed and the Graphic Designer needs to be able to adapt a visual concept from another medium into printed materials. He/she works very closely with writers, web designers and developers, media producers, coordinators, PR, management, and faculty to execute his/her responsibilities.
The Graphic Designer must
- produce a substantial quantity of high quality designed materials across several mediums and outlets.
- have an outstanding sense of design and a keen attention to detail
- work independently and take initiative
- be able to work closely with other team members
- be extremely brand-aware
- communicate effectively, in both written and spoken form
- be a strong creative presence at meetings
- be able to take creative direction and feedback and adapt or rethink original ideas based on it.
- remain even-keeled and effective under tight deadlines
- brainstorm and solve creative problems
- Develop and maintain the overall brand identity of Vancouver Film School and ensure a consistent look and feel among all marketing initiatives as well as output from other departments and programs.
- Create visually arresting, high-quality and consistent designs for a wide variety of mediums and outlets including print advertising campaigns, brochures, fact-sheets, posters and postcards, editorial products, signage, tradeshow materials, merchandise, presentations, video slates, internal documents, stationery, certificates and business cards.
- Work closely with management, coordinators, and creatives to see projects through from concept to delivery
- Provide design support to all Marketing team members and VFS senior management
- Manage relationships and workflow with external contractors and vendors.
- Manage timelines for multiple simultaneous projects ensuring aggressive deadlines are met.
- Remain current with new design technologies and trends and apply to VFS materials as appropriate.
- Collaborate with the Web Team on the design of the website to ensure maximum utility and navigation and an esthetic design in keeping with the VFS corporate identity.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Marketing or Marketing Manager
Skills, Experience and Education Requirements:
- A degree/diploma in graphic design or equivalent experience
- Over three years of design experience.
- Excellent design sensibilities and skills
- Proficiency with InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, and Keynote as well as Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Knowledge of print production and pre-press processes and technologies
- A team player who thrives in a collaborative environment but can manage his or her own time and work independently
- An understanding of web design possibilities and restrictions
- Previous experience in working with promotional materials in a high paced environment.