Posting Number: 01384
Title: Graphic Designer
Department: Marketing and Communications Office
Location: New Westminster Campus
Position Type: Support Staff - Temporary
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. We're a community of citizens who are engaged -- with each other and, increasingly, with the world. Being one of the best colleges in Canada isn't just talk - it's something we work at every single day.
Graphic Designer plans, designs and produces promotional materials using specialized graphic design software applications. She/he develops graphic standards for the College and promotes adherence to the standards within the MCO and throughout the College while providing exceptional client-centered service on a consistent basis to all stakeholder groups.
1. Plans, designs and produces promotional and support material.
a. works with detailed creative briefs, and occasionally consults directly with clients, to understand communications and promotional objectives and business needs; draws on solid problem solving abilities and a College-wide perspective to advise on how printed materials can meet objectives; makes recommendations on formats and specific design elements of printed materials (e.g. format, colours, images and other graphical elements);
b. designs printed materials such as posters, flyers, brochures and other materials using a variety of media and specialized software;
c. liaises with clients to review and adjust draft layouts;
d. works to tight deadlines to coordinate workflow of large graphic design projects; ensures that layouts are reviewed/approved by clients as well as by appropriate CMO team members;
e. prepares electronic files for reproduction and liaises with internal and external printers to ensure files are built properly from a technical perspective;
f. coordinates delivery of art work to internal and external printers and communicates with them to ensure quality control of the output;
g. acts as art director for photography assignments outsourced to internal or external photographers; sets up studio or other locations and assists photographers at photo shoots; occasionally takes photos for publication;
h. organizes and maintains inventory of photography assets;
i. contributes to and provides input and guidance for design of the College website.
2. Plans, develops and directs the visual identity program and graphic standards of the College to ensure the appropriate College image is embodied in all work produced by the MCO.
a. Ensures consistent visual identity aspects of College brand are maintained throughout all materials produced by MCO. (e.g., advertising, print collateral, website);
b. guides MCO staff and other employees in implementation of the graphic standards and promotes College-wide compliance with guidelines;
c. maintains records of work progress and completion including resources committed;
d. ensures that projects comply with established budget;
e. keeps abreast of trends and developments in the graphic design field;
3. Performs other related duties.
a. assists with audio visual productions as required;
b. maintains and controls inventory of graphic supplies and equipment, ordering basic materials.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need:
- Completion of a two-year diploma program in graphic design supplemented by two years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of skills in a variety of specialized artistic fields such as graphic design, photography and illustration.
- Good working knowledge of offset printing techniques and processes.
- Demonstrated creativity and imagination in graphic design.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate courteously and effectively in person and on the telephone with administrators, faculty, staff, and external contacts.
- Proven ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Proven ability to work to tight timelines and establish priorities to produce accurate and high quality work.
- Good working knowledge of English (verbal and written).
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
This temporary full-time position is available for the period of October 13, 2015 to December 4, 2015, 2015. Regular hours of work are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday.
Posting Type: Internal/External
Grade or Pay Level: S - Pay Level 12
Salary Range: $22.77 - $25.45 per hour
Closing Date: 10-09-2015
Start Date: 10-13-2015
End Date: 12-04-2015
Douglas College is committed to being a workplace that is free of discrimination, that values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.