12 Month Maternity Leave Coverage with the Possibility of Extension
About Our Company
Headquartered in Nanaimo, British Columbia, Maximum Yield owns multiple market leading indoor gardening publications distributed to various geographic markets, including the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Europe, Australia and New Zealand. In addition, Maximum Yield has managed, staged and hosted popular indoor gardening trade shows in various U.S., Australian and Canadian cities since 2001. Overall, Maximum Yield has successfully built a dominant media channel whereby the Maximum Yield brand effectively connects indoor gardening and hydroponic product manufacturers, service providers, retailers and industry experts directly with indoor gardening hobbyists, green house operators and licensed distributors.
About the Job
We are looking for a well-organized, enthusiastic, creative professional who thrives in a fast-paced environment. Reporting to the Art Director, you will be responsible for the creative execution of projects involved in magazine layout, web site design/development, email and social media marketing and event and display materials.
A competitive wage and benefit package will be offered to the successful candidate.
- Providing timely and accurate magazine production, layout and design;
- Producing print collateral, advertisements, event and display materials as required;
- Managing and documenting the approval process needed for each type of project;
- Supporting overall website design by coordinating and uploading web content for all websites;
- Implementing design requests and providing ongoing website maintenance including troubleshooting;
- Coordinating activities with other members of the team and contributing to team effort by helping with other projects as needed;
- Maintaining files in standardized electronic file format and managing content and digital imagery assets;
- Preparing final files for hand-off to printers and other suppliers.
- You are highly proficient at designing for both digital and print and have a strong grasp of visual design principles, typography and colour;
- You have advanced knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator (preferably CC) and proven experience using the Adobe suite on a PC platform as well as knowledge of pre-press and various printing processes and related proofing requirements;
- You possess a work style that is extremely detail oriented and thrive in a rapid development environment;
- You have excellent interpersonal, customer service and communication skills (written and verbal);
- Strong computer skills in all Microsoft software (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.) is an asset as is familiarity with current and emerging web technologies as well as SEO, social media and email marketing design best practices.
- Bachelor’s degree in design with visual communications major or degree from an accredited design or art institute with a graphic design major or equivalent combination of education and experience in a graphic design environment;
- Compelling portfolio demonstrating strong conceptual skills, high level sense of design, layout and typography.
Please note that this is a 12-month maternity leave position from November 2016 to November 2017 with the possibility of extension.