Maximum Yield Publications, an international gardening magazine publisher based in Nanaimo, BC with magazines in 5 different countries, has an opportunity for a Graphic Designer/Layout Artist to fill a maternity-leave position.
The successful candidate will be a well-organized, enthusiastic, creative, team player who can handle a variety of tasks in a fast paced environment.
A competitive salary and benefit package will be offered to the successful candidate.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- providing timely and accurate magazine production, layout and design with high visual impact
- producing print collateral, advertisements, event and display materials as required
- maintaining files in standardized electronic file format and managing content and digital imagery assets
- coordinating activities with other members of our design team
- preparing final files for hand-off to printers and other suppliers
You are the perfect candidate if you have:
a strong grasp of visual design principles, typography and colour
- a compelling portfolio that demonstrates elegant and innovative visual design
- advanced knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator (preferably CC) and proven experience using the Adobe suite on a PC platform
- familiarity with current and emerging Web technologies and experience using web Content Management Systems (CMS) like Wordpress would be asset as is the ability to create (HTML, CSS) and update/maintain websites.
- a University Degree or Diploma in relevant field (Graphic Design or Visual Communication) or equivalent experience
- a work style that is extremely detail oriented
- a great sense of humour, positive outlook, empathy and work ethic
- strong analytical skills with exceptionally good judgment and ability to rapidly adapt to unfamiliar and changing situations/events
The successful applicant will be required to work on-site in our Nanaimo office. Standard working hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm.