Marriott International portfolio of brands includes both JW Marriott and Marriott Hotels.
Marriott Hotels, Marriott International’s flagship brand with more than 500 global locations, is advancing the art of hosting so that our guests can travel brilliantly. As a host with Marriott Hotels, you will help keep this promise by delivering premium choices, sophisticated style, and well-crafted details. With your skills and imagination, together we will innovate and reinvent the future of travel.
JW Marriott is part of Marriott International's luxury portfolio and consists of more than 70 beautiful properties in gateway cities and distinctive resort locations around the world. Our associates deliver sophisticated and warmly authentic service in a comfortable and luxurious atmosphere that cultivates fulfilling experiences for both our associates and our guests.
Under the direction of the Director of Operations, the Director of Event Planning manages event planning functions and staff on a daily basis. Core area of responsibility is the event planning team, including the Event Managers, and Event Coordinator. Position oversees the administrative processes associated with the pre-event and post-event phases of an event and the associated transitions between all event phases. Ensures a seamless turnover from sales to operations and back to sales while consistently delivering a high level of service. Ensures the team maximizes revenue opportunities by up-selling and accurately forecasting (catering and group rooms) all events. The position is responsible for achieving guest and employee satisfaction and for managing the financial performance of the department.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or GED;
2-year degree from an accredited university in Hotel and Restaurant Management, Hospitality, Business Administration, or related major is preferred
2-4 years experience in leading an Events team is preferred
Previous luxury hotel experience is preferred
PLEASE NOTE: We are only able to consider those candidates who actively possess the legal right to work in Canada (Canadian Citizens, Canadian Permanent Residents, and foreign workers already in possession of an Open Work permit). All other applicants will not be considered for this role.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Event Planning Operations
- Assigns all events turned over to Event Planning team.
- Oversees for turned opportunities’ function space and group room blocks.
- Communicates and executes departmental and property emergency procedures and ensures staff are trained in safety procedures.
- Leads execution of activities to support the Event Management strategy.
- Works with direct reports to review scheduled events and troubleshoot potential challenges/conflicts.
- Leads discussions to review event complexity and proactively avoid service challenges and failures.
- Ensures the property is apprised of all groups that will impact property operations.
- Manages customer budgets to maximize revenue and meet customer needs.
- Maintains inventories to maximize customer satisfaction and revenue opportunities.
- Works with highly complex or high profile groups when financial impact will be significant.
Leading Event Planning Team
- Leads the catering menu development process.
- Champions all standards, policies and procedures for the Event Planning team.
- Leads Event Management meetings.
Providing and Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
- Reviews comment cards, guest satisfaction results and other data to identify areas of improvement.
- Shares plans with property leadership and ensures corrective action is taken to continuously improve guest satisfaction.
- Displays leadership in guest hospitality, exemplifies excellent customer service and creates a positive atmosphere for guest relations.
- Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels.
- Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
- Strives to improve service performance.
- Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
Managing the Sales and Marketing Strategy
- Develops working relationships with outside vendors and establishes prices and service agreements to enhance the event experience and to increase additional revenue opportunities for the property.
- Consult with customers in order to determine objectives and requirements for events such as meetings, conferences, and conventions.
Conducting Human Resources Activities
- Establishes customer service guidelines so employees understand expectations and parameters.
- Ensures employees receive on-going training to understand guest expectations.
- Observes service behaviors of employees and provides feedback to individuals and or managers.
- Reviews staffing levels to ensure that guest service and planning needs are met.