Knowledge Network, British Columbia’s Public Broadcaster is seeking a skilled and passionate Director of Brand and Audience Engagement to lead the planning, development and execution of our audience engagement and branding initiatives.
Knowledge Network provides a distinct television and streaming service for British Columbians. The Knowledge brand is unique – we are not selling a product but providing a service that embodies the values of community, curiosity and understanding. Our brand team communicates the story and values of the service across distinct platforms and the audience engagement team connects and builds relationships with audiences who know and love us and those who don’t know us yet.
Reporting to the President + CEO and a key member of the Knowledge Leadership Team, you will ensure a strong cohesive, recognizable and representative brand that seamlessly represents Knowledge Network across our broadcast, streaming, social and print platforms. You will lead the development and implementation of audience engagement strategies to grow and diversify viewership for Knowledge Kids (preschoolers and parents) and Knowledge Prime (viewers 40+). Finally, you will lead a high-performing team of creative and talented brand, design, marketing and promotion professionals focused on excellence and positive results.
Who We Are:
British Columbia’s Knowledge Network is an independent provincial public educational broadcaster that operates a free and commercial-free television channel in B.C. and streaming services across Canada.
Our office is located in Burnaby on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples. We honour and respect the people and the land we are part of.
Funded by an annual operating grant from the provincial government and donations from loyal viewers, Knowledge Network offers curated content from all over the world and award-winning Knowledge Originals from BC filmmakers. Our programming informs, enlightens and connects British Columbians to each other and the world.
What You will be Doing:
- Lead and oversee the execution of audience engagement strategies for Knowledge Kids and Knowledge Prime across all communication channels including television, streaming, email, social and digital platforms.
- Develop and implement strategies to grow and diversify Knowledge Network audiences.
- Develop and implement strategies to migrate television audiences to our streaming platforms.
- Foster relationship building with our viewers and donors to ensure retention, growth and community.
Brand Strategy & Management
- Oversee the brand identity and the seamless implementation of that brand across all Knowledge platforms. This includes the Knowledge Network, Knowledge Kids and Knowledge Partner brands.
- Develop and oversee production and delivery of all Knowledge branded creative elements.
- Lead the creation of tools to communicate the brands across the organization.
In-House Creative Services
- Oversee the production and delivery of internal creative services for Knowledge Partners, Streaming Platforms, Corporate Communications and the Office of the President + CEO.
- Build cross-functional relationships across Knowledge to ensure collaboration and alignment on all brand and audience engagement initiatives, projects and campaigns.
Strategic Leadership & Management
- Participate in strategic planning, decision-making and collaborate on cross-departmental initiatives.
- Provide direction, mentorship and guidance for all team members to support a high-performing, inclusive and respectful workplace.
- Develop and refine systems and processes to ensure clear communication of objectives and high-level coordination of team priorities, activities and projects.
- Manage the annual department budget, plans and objectives, tracking actuals and reporting on progress with strategic and operational goals and objectives.
What You Bring to the Team:
Experience & Knowledge:
- Degree in communications, marketing or business, or a related field, or an equivalent amount of relevant experience.
- Minimum of 10 years working in the creative, brand, audience engagement or promotion space.
- Proven experience in creating and delivering successful creative, strategic brand, communications and promotion plans and concepts.
- Proven track record of developing and implementing audience engagement strategies with demonstrated results.
- Demonstrated experience in leading healthy, productive and motivated teams.
- Experience leading a corporate brand.
- Experience in values-based, not-for-profit branding and promotion is an asset.
- A thorough understanding of marketing principles and technology and the ability to apply marketing techniques across various platforms.
- A solid understanding of the broadcast and streaming industry is an asset.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Strong cross-cultural competencies.
Skills & Abilities:
- A leader committed to creating an inclusive culture and a representative workplace with a diversity of thought and experience.
- A strong coach and mentor, who can direct and motivate a high-performing creative team, clearly communicating objectives, ensuring understanding of “the big picture”.
- An exceptional storyteller with outstanding written, verbal and visual communication abilities.
- A creative with an eye and style to engage, build and motivate a wide range of audiences and stakeholders across platforms.
- A relationship builder who can work with multiple groups, establish trust and connection across the organization.
- A project leader who is detail-oriented, organized, resourceful, and proactive.
- A strategic thinker with the ability to set priorities, multi-task, problem solve and meet deadlines.
- A belief in the value of public broadcasting and a commitment to public service.
What We Bring:
At Knowledge Network, we are a stable, trusted and inclusive employer who believes employees are our number one asset. As such, we offer competitive benefits including:
- A Competitive Salary - $121,857 – $155,307 annually
- A Defined Benefit Pension Plan – College Pension Plan with employer contributions
- Generous Vacation Entitlement - starting at 4 weeks along with 13 annual statutory holidays.
- 100% Employer-paid dental, extended health, vision care for you and your family
- Wellness supports, including an Employee and Family Assistance Program, lunch and learn seminars, free flu shots and mental health resources.
- Work-Life Balance – hybrid work option with flexible work schedules.
- Training and Professional Development funds to support your continuous learning and development.
Perfect your job application with VisualCV so you can get hired faster!