As the technological extension of Ontario’s public education system, TVO’s vision is to create a better world through the power of learning.
TVO provides learning opportunities for Ontarians through innovative educational products, in-depth current affairs, groundbreaking documentaries, and award-winning TVOKids resources both inside and outside the classroom. TVO is funded primarily by the Province of Ontario and is a registered charity supported by sponsors and thousands of donors.
The Digital Media Producer, K-12 creates original web content in support of the divisional goals, products and strategies, and uses but is not limited to, graphics, video, audio and third party web apps. This role ensures that the content aligns with campaign goals and executes on a social media strategy around TVO editorial objectives.
The Ideal Candidate:
You have strong editorial skills and a proven facility with the digital toolkit, including: video (shot & edited), audio, photography, written posts, SEO search oriented written material such as meta data and descriptions, html for building, high level of content management literacy in order to upload and organize the content and the backend of the website. The Digital Media Producer must also possess the skills and understanding to use these tools to generate traffic to the website and develop community, using the social media platforms that exist now and may arise in the future.
Under the overall responsibility of the Director, Educational Partnerships, K-12, the Digital Media Producer creates content for the website consistent with the site architecture and editorial and business intelligence best practices. The work must meet editorial, intellectual and technical quality standards. Work must be completed within a specified timeframe and resource allocation. Initiative, independent judgment and creativity are required. Guidance and direction are provided. Work must adhere to TVO program policies, standards and practices.
Editorial & Technical:
- Based on divisional priorities and in consultation with the Director, pitch propose, develop, collaborate on and produce daily online content in a variety of formats
- Write headlines, short descriptions, feature-length stories, shorter articles, blog posts and edit copy, shoot, source and record and edit photos, video and audio
- Perform content management and community moderation duties for TVO.org, microsites, and special feature pages
- Perform web maintenance activities such as managing slide shows, feature spots in support of the editorial calendar
- Manage project and/or production schedules that account for design and development inputs
- Work with Jive Cloud or other online platform and adhere to TVO style guide and usability standards
- Employ SEO and social media best practices
- Engage in testing of new functionality after updates have been implemented by a cloud service provider
- Assist the Director in the planning and execution of campaigns, in support of organizational initiatives.
- Align content ideas and execution with campaign goals
- Align with and execute on a social media strategy around TVO editorial objectives that includes working with TVO external partners
- Ensure that the proper and accurate clearance of all materials used on the site has been performed and where possible obtain copy free material
- Contribute to building online engagement to develop community around the content by responding to user questions and comments, content positioning and performing strategic outreach
- Collaborate with team members on the development and design of new microsites, functionality and website features
- Responsible for the look and feel of the website and the development of project plans
As required, performs the following tasks:
- Liaises with other departments in matters relating to the activities
- Interview people as sources of material for the content
- Work with the Director to ensure that the editorial process is efficient and productive
- Performs any tasks at a lower classification
- Performs other directly related duties
Key Skills Required:
Editorial Skillset and Media Creation for The Web
- Extensive experience and demonstrated ability in interviewing, writing and describing content for the web
- Experience developing websites using HTML and web-based tools
- Experience creating content that is compatible on all platforms especially mobile
- Advanced understanding of SEO techniques and ability to optimize and structure written content, metadata and page layout, for organic search results or paid search campaigns.
- Ability to obtain valuable backlinks from other websites to increase referral traffic and search engine rank
- Broad knowledge of social media platforms and web tools, with the ability to set-up and effectively use common web apps and online tools for collaboration in an online educational environment. Experience in recommending appropriate tools to meet editorial objectives
- Ability to shoot, record and edit audio and video content, coupled with experience in encoding, describing, uploading and publishing the material to a website
- Able to set up, operate, and effect minor adjustments to digital video or audio equipment
- Capable of performing simple rough or fine cut editing on desktop editing platforms to produce the web ready digital video files
- Knowledge and experience with the proper and accurate clearance of all material used on a website. Ability to source appropriate copyright-free material to enhance content offering
- Experience working with a web Content Management System such as Jive and its relationship to how a dynamic database drives website functions
- Experience designing content in compliance with AODA standards
- Understanding of digital asset management systems an asset
- Understanding of website analytics an asset
Project Development & Research
- Strong usability, design, and website architecture knowledge
- Experience in managing project/production schedules
- Demonstrated experience in working with co-production partners: Ability to collaborate in the project development and production phases and take delivery of digital media content pieces, including websites, mobile apps, games, and ensure they meet TVO usability and editorial standards
- University or college graduate in relevant program(s) including new media, design, communications, writing, journalism, programming
- 3+ year’s of experience working in a content management or web editor role in online publishing/production environments
- Extensive experience in multi-platform (TV, the web, mobile) content management strategy and delivery
- Experience or training using Jive Cloud Platform would be an asset
- Strong attention to detail in researching, writing and editing
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Must be able to establish priorities and work effectively to meet deadlines
- Highly motivated, with the ability to work well in a team environment to create positive synergies internally and externally
- Experience in working successfully with project managers, producers, designers, developers, educators, on-air hosts, and marketing/publicity
- Proven track record of working independently and autonomously in driving projects to completion
- Passionate about the internet and online content; experience in building online community; keeps up-to-date on current events and adopt best content delivery practices to ensure a better customer experience
- Strong understanding of how web design and development work, in order to deliver high usability standards to audiences
- Experience working with a content management system
- Must be computer literate using MS Officer, Word, Outlook and databases
- Knowledge/experience in the Ontario Education system is an asset.
When applying, please include links to recent web writing and content samples, and if you are contacted for an interview, please bring your portfolio.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and current resume, by the stated date.
TVO is an equal opportunity employer and will endeavour to accommodate job applicants with disabilities through the Talent and Engagement office. Upon request, all job postings will be made available in alternative format.
TVO is committed to achieve a skilled workforce reflective of the population of Ontario. We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.