Be a part of building a national brand. Headquartered in Toronto, the Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) is a national, private, not-for-profit organization committed to high-performance sports excellence. We are the largest private supporter of high performance sport in Canada and we are responsible for all aspects of Canada’s involvement in the Olympic Movement, including participation in the Olympic and Pan American Games.
The Canadian Olympic Committee is looking for a Community Editor (A.K.A. writer, photographer, blogger, tweeter, videographer, engager, Facebooker, storyteller) to help us manage and grow our digital and social channels by engaging with our fans.
Based in Toronto and reporting to the Digital Manager, the Community Editor is a dynamic storyteller in both written and visual mediums who creates all manner of content to engage with Canadian Olympic fans – be it features, tweets, Facebook posts, blogs, photographs, videos, headlines, quotes, posters, audio files, billboards or infographics.
You tell your stories on a digital canvas.
You are imaginative, collaborative, and truly inspired by story.
You don’t want to be a writer – you are a writer.
Your passion for your work and attention to detail are undeniable.
You believe in your ideas and they matter to those around you.
You would dictate a story over the phone before you miss a deadline.
You will give yourself a deadline if one is not given to you.
Your work is interesting to your readers because you care about them and they care about you.
You will learn any software or digital tool to ensure you can publish for your audience and interact with your readers.
You care how something looks as much as how it reads.
Core Responsibilities and Priorities:
- Grow our digital and social channels by engaging with our fans (primarily, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Olympic.ca)
- Manage corresponding social platform calendars
- Build on existing and emerging platforms to create content and conversations with our readers, leading to relationships that matter
- Create all manner of content that engages with Canadian Olympic fans
- Research, write, edit, shoot and promote a range of stories as assigned
- Maximize power and reach of content by enhancing stories with rich media and social engagement, to maximize viral traffic
- Fulfill a daily/weekly workflow structure, ensuring content is uploaded and published on schedule (this may require flexible working hours)
- Be aware of and responsive to our channels’ audience and community
- Maintain and develop relationships with key members of the digital and sports communities, including athletes, agents and sponsors
Qualifications and Critical Skills:
- Post-secondary education in journalism or digital marketing
- Three years related professional experience in agency, journalism or independent blogging environment (note: recent college graduates with strong internship experience are also encouraged to apply)
- An instinct for visual and written storytelling and a passion for digital
- Equally comfortable writing and shooting a story
- Proven knowledge of social platforms
- Strong grasp of web analytics and traffic metrics
- Strong knowledge of HTML and Photoshop
- Must be able to manage the strategy and day-to-day interactions with our community – including planning social and editorial calendars
- Good eye for shooting and editing photography
- Familiarity with online publishing platforms (especially WordPress) and SEO best practices
- Up on trends, pop culture, and sport – you know how to spot what’s trending and convert the opportunity into something people need to read
- Ability to shoot and edit video is a huge bonus
- Bilingual is a bonus, but not required
- Sports experience, and sports writing experience, are bonuses
- Sport passion is essential
- Include links to relevant samples, along with your personal website and social profiles
- NOTE: Candidates are encouraged to get creative with their applications
Competitive salary based on experience, excellent benefits package.