General Fusion is pursuing a faster and more practical path to commercial fusion energy. Established in 2002, the company and its 65 employees are supported by a global syndicate of leading energy venture capital funds, industry leaders, and technology pioneers. Fusion is a clean, safe, abundant and on-demand form of energy that, when harnessed, could provide a nearly unlimited source of power with zero CO2 emissions. Backed by over $100 million in funding, the company’s goal is to transform the world’s energy supply and enable clean energy, everywhere, forever.
General Fusion is looking for a Communications Specialist to support the communications and business development teams. Reporting to the Communications Manager, this role will help fuel the growth of the company by delivering a wide range of compelling communications initiatives in a fast-paced environment.
General Fusion is based in Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada, within the Vancouver area. For more information: www.generalfusion.com.
Salary and benefits are competitive. This position is based at the General Fusion Burnaby location.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Presentations: Work with the business development team to develop and refine pitch decks and presentation materials for meetings, conferences and tradeshows.
- Write, edit, and proofread new marketing and communications content such as press releases, email newsletters, website posts and award submissions. Transform complex ideas into simple, concise language while maintaining alignment with brand messaging.
- Event Support: Assist with the planning and execution of events, conferences, media days and site tours.
- Social Media: Plan, manage and execute a content calendar across our social channels. Assist the Communications Manager with the overall social media plan by tracking and analyzing metrics.
- Content Management: Maintain and update websites, email newsletters and other platforms.
- Competitive Intelligence: Research and analyze trends in the energy sector and related industries.
- Track media and online coverage of General Fusion, and liaise with media outlets.
- Collateral Development: Support the Communications Manager in the development of imagery, video, infographics and other communications collateral in alignment with the marketing and communications strategy.
- 5+ years’ experience in a communications role, preferably in a technical industry or B2B context. A background in science or advanced technology is an asset.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Marketing, Communications, Journalism or a related field.
- Demonstrate initiative and the ability to independently problem solve in a fast-paced environment. Highly organized, creative and able to juggle many projects simultaneously with tight deadlines.
- Highly proficient at MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) with the ability to quickly create professional looking presentations, manage event lists, and format documents.
- Strong presentation design portfolio demonstrating expert level PowerPoint skills, including use of multiple masters, color themes, animations, actions, and video to convey technical topics.
- Ability to follow brand guidelines, with a strong eye for detail.
- Professional writing for content including websites, press releases and email newsletters, with the ability to convey complex technical ideas in a simple form.
- Social media savvy, with working experience engaging with and managing online communities according to best practice.Applicants should also have hands-on experience creating and scheduling social media content through a platform such as Hootsuite.
- Hands on experience with WordPress and the ability the work in HTML at an intermediate level to update websites and edit templates.
- The ability to conduct desktop research using sources such as industry publications, journal databases and energy agency statistics.
- Basic image editing skills in Adobe Photoshop (cropping, resizing).
- Comfortable working with colleagues of all levels, particularly senior executives and industry partners.
- Genuinely curious, with an interest in energy issues and enthusiasm for science and technology.