Requisition ID: 1243
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Junior Digital Strategist (Jr DS) plans, designs and delivers a variety of web content assets (e.g. text, graphics and maps, video and audio, crowd sources or local holdings, born digital materials and digitized items, application interfaces, etc.) on behalf of all departments, including materials of a complex nature, within the City’s content management system (CMS).
While doing so the Jr DS will ensure they:
- provide a cohesive, task-oriented user experience across the site
- align to departmental and corporate business objectives
- protect and enhance the City’s reputation; maintain a consistent editorial voice
- adhere to established quality publishing standards
Key Contacts and Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Reporting to the UX Lead, Digital Services and the Manger, Digital Services, this position:
- Researches, writes, edits, and publishes information and instructive copy for the City and Park Board;
- Ensures published web content is timely and accurate, informative and relevant, engaging and consistent with the City standards and objectives;
- Monitors and evaluates effectiveness of web content, recommends changes and identifies issues, and maintains editing and approval processes and standards.
- Coordinates, reviews, edits and publishes web material provided by decentralized staff and provides training.
- Provides web strategy and best practices counsel to internal and external contacts; and participates in consultations with key stakeholders.
- Creates and maintains the standards and taxonomies for the website, recommending changes and improvements; and integrates information on the website from across all communication channels.
- Identifies and implements audience-specific content solutions and ensures content is optimized for search engines.
- Research and source additional tools/applications to advance the display of information on external websites.
- Support Digital Marketing activities for projects and initiatives including ideation, concept exploration, and tool management
- Follow established Vancouver Design Style Guide when creating and implementing content
- Adhere to common usability and user experience best practices to ensure clean, concise, easy to understand and use interactions are created for citizens using CoV digital services
- Approach each project and challenge with a lens of ‘Digital First’ and providing recommendations and solutions to best support that journey for users
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience
High School Diploma plus 2 - 4 years of related experience in business or marketing communications, web copywriting, technical communication, library or information sciences, or journalism, combined with industry experience;
- Demonstrated experience with Content Management Systems (OpenText preferred)
- Experience with best practises in digital content strategy.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
In addition, demonstrated experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Content development and curation for multilingual audiences
- Substantive editing, Plain Language, and/or Controlled English
- Content typing for multi-channel output
- Knowledge of relevant best practices, including user experience and search engine optimization
- Considerable knowledge of accessibility issues and guidelines
- Skilled in creating a variety of content styles and genres
- Strong problem-solving approach, strong editorial and writing skills
- Ability to understand content in the context of various business models
- Ability to synthesize complex or technical information to produce clear, concise and compelling content
- Ability to influence others in the adoption of best practices
- Ability to thrive in a challenging and collaborative work environment with changing priorities, to coordinate the work of others, and to publish to deadline
- Ability to manage workload, prioritize and delegate where possible, to stay on top of demanding workload and time sensitive efforts