Communications Coordinator full-time
Salary: $46,834 to $47,960
Company Name: AIDS Committee of Toronto (ACT) (http://www.actoronto.org)
Category: Communications, Copywriting / Writing, Social Media
ACT's Communications Coordinator implements internal and external communication activities including social media and web coordination, media relations, advertising and marketing. Working with the Manager of Communications, in addition to members of the management team, this role is responsible for media and public relations, drafting media releases, providing proactive media relations, assisting with research, writing and editing of media guides, newsletters, public documents, website and background media material. Specific duties and responsibilities will also include, but are not limited to the following and may be subject to change:
- Lead the agency’s social media presence, creating, posting and promoting content on multiple channels, maintaining a social media editorial calendar, building relationships with key influencers, organizing and participating in online conversations, tracking metrics and analyzing campaign results, and staying abreast of industry best practices, emerging platforms and trends in technology.
- Oversee the information flow and design of the ACT website and ensure that information is reviewed and regularly updated.
- Develop and manage internal and external communications plans for a variety of projects. This would include writing advertisements, brochures, conference hand-outs, internal newsletters, PowerPoint presentations, and website copy. Monitors the internal and external environment to identify communications opportunities, challenges and issues.
- Provide ongoing communications counsel to the Executive Director, Managers, Staff and Board members. Consults with the management team on appropriate responses to relevant issues in the media.
- Develop and disseminate discussion pieces for the media and background documents on emerging issues.
- Develop and implement initiatives to increase ACT’s profile within the media, among community groups and the public.
- Act as the main media contact for the agency and disseminates media calls to other staff, as appropriate. Write press releases as required, develop media plans and maintain media lists and media relations. Coordinate media events such as press conferences, campaign launches, etc.
- Respond to public inquiries about ACT, HIV/AIDS and related issues.
- Develop and maintain information sheets, position papers, and backgrounders on current and emerging agency and HIV/AIDS issues. Gather and maintain up-to-date statistics on HIV/AIDS.
- Provide media training for staff and people living with HIV/AIDS who can act as spokespeople on current and emerging issues.
Print and Brand Support
- Support the Manager of Communications in the coordination of print production of all agency-wide communication materials.
- Help to establish agency-wide communication standards, a consistent image, as well as graphic standards and communicates these to staff and monitors their application.
- Write, produce and/or direct the production of materials such as agency brochures, newsletters, annual reports, speeches etc.
- Helps to coordinate the activities of and, liaises with communications volunteers to ensure the timely production of agency publications, digital and print, that comply with brand standards.
- Provide support to the planning of agency-wide events, including fundraising events, to ensure brand requirements.
Advertising and Media
- Develop and implement advertising and marketing strategies that support the delivery of programs and services while enhancing public and community awareness. This will include coordinating advertising in community newspapers, newsletters, special event publications, etc.
- Work with vendors such as advertising agencies and marketing firms to support and implement the above activities.
Administration and Other Duties
- Participate on teams and external committees to communicate information, resolve problems and achieve the goals of the organization.
- In addition to compliance with all organizational policies and procedures, the incumbent is also expected to behave ethically, demonstrate competence in effective communication and team building, demonstrate effectiveness in working in a collaborative environment, and demonstrate confidence in decision-making and in building relationships.
- Coordinate and chair the Advocacy and Communications Working Group comprised of staff with expertise in the advocacy, marketing, advertising and communication fields to assist with agency-wide initiatives.
- Post-secondary education in Journalism, English, Communications, Public Relations or related majors.
- Minimum of three years of professional experience in business or technical writing, communications, media relations, or related field.
- Superior, effective and professional communication skills (written, oral, and visual). Ability to question and propose alternatives for communications to be developed and delivered.
- Excellent writing and editing skills. Accomplished style, syntax and grammar. Compelling storyteller with the ability to write in plain language.
- Knowledge of standard concepts, practices and procedures related to the position, including: expertise in use of English grammar, punctuation, and syntax; ability to conduct research; understanding of branding and positioning strategies for the agency and for specific projects; ability to "ghost write" for various staff, and volunteers; ability to learn subject-specific terminology for use in developing written materials; knowledge of when and how to use various channels of communication.
- Advanced level of proficiency in MS Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint and MAC OSX.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of responsive design. Expertise with design tools is an asset (e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Quark or equivalents) and knowledge of design methods for web and social media.
- Experience with mobile device web application technologies.
This job has expired or been closed by the employer, please visit our home page