Who is AFBS?
AFBS is a not-for-profit, financial services organization providing for the specialized insurance, healthcare and retirement needs of performers and writers across Canada. Owned and governed by its Members, over the past 36 years AFBS has grown to become one of the country's top 200 financial institutions with a half billion dollars of our Members' assets hard at work for them. Because we are “creatives” ourselves, we understand the unique financial needs of others who earn their livelihoods in the creative sector. When AFBS designs and offers programs, it does so with years of expertise, knowledge and compassion that can’t be matched by traditional insurers for whom insurance is just a business. Although we have 17,000+ Members, we serve them with a staff of fewer than 40 people, which makes us a close-knit, very efficient team.
Clear, consistent and ongoing communication with our Members is the heartbeat of our organization. You will work directly with our Head of Communications and will be responsible for organizing, scheduling and monitoring the coordination of various printed and digital communications materials, as well as liaising with necessary parties to carry tasks through to completion. At the present time, virtually all materials ranging from our Annual Report to e-mail blasts are written and designed by outside suppliers who work under very tight brand standards.
An important part of your responsibility will be to coordinate with other departments and suppliers when gathering source (working) materials and to carry them forward until final approval by our Head of Communications.
At the present time the communications team consists of the Head of Communications, the Communications Coordinator (the position described here) and a Fulfillment Manager. In the coming year, the team could grow to include a Digital Media Specialist with hands-on production expertise in that area.
Prerequisite Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- A college degree or tech school certification in a Communications-related field (Communications, Marketing, Publishing, English etc.).
- 3 or more years of related experience in a communications firm or department
- Comfortable using Adobe Creative Suite and handling simple design projects
- Highly adaptable, with the ability to multi-task and prioritize accordingly
- Strong written and spoken communication skills
- In-depth knowledge of web analytics platforms
- Knowledge of print and digital media production are desired