Make Your Mark in Tourism!
The Ontario’s Highlands Tourism Organization is looking for a creative and experienced Communications Coordinator to collaborate with a diverse and passionate tourism industry to tell the stories about what makes Ontario’s Highlands the greatest place to visit in the Province. Our region stretches as far west as Haliburton County and as east as the Ottawa Valley. We are known for our iconic waterways, picturesque rural towns and villages, pristine wilderness and scenic landscapes and above all - our people. This position provides the opportunity to apply your skills in a dynamic and rewarding environment. For more information about our organization, visit www.ohto.ca
The Communications Coordinator is a full time position working in collaboration with the OHTO team and reporting to the Executive Director to develop, coordinate and execute internal and external communications programs.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists with the development of the annual communication plans for industry and consumer audiences.
- Produces and distributes all communication pieces related to the communications strategy, including, but not limited to, website content, social media posts, newsletters, press releases, and corporate documents and correspondence.
- Monitors and reports on the effectiveness of communication plans.
- Provides front line contact for travel information, membership assistance and media inquiries.
- Coordinates stakeholder events and press trips.
- Maintains contact databases and other administrative duties as required
- Contact with tourism industry stakeholders within Ontario’s Highlands and in other jurisdictions to gather content, build relationships that will assist with the development, implementation and evaluation of communications programs;
- Contact with various tourism partners within the region to collaborate on projects, gather and confirm information; and
- Contact with internal staff, members, Board and Committees to provide advice and support regarding communications tools (websites, publications, etc.) and to participate in problem solving.
- Collaboration with the Marketing Manager to ensure communication activities related to marketing are accomplishing corporate objectives.
- Collaboration with Tourism Development and Industry Relations Coordinator to ensure stakeholder engagement communication activities are accomplishing corporate objectives.
The OHTO has entered its fourth year of operations, is membership based (730 members), and is governed by a Board of Directors. Four staff positions are in place to develop and execute the operational plan to achieve the strategic goals as established by the Board. Although guidance and support will be provided by the OHTO team, internal resources are limited, and therefore, the position will require a significant amount of multi-tasking. While an option to work remotely will be available, there will be a necessity to travel periodically to the office as well as to various stakeholder events (average 10 times/year for day trips) and conferences (average three times/yr for 2- 3 days).
- University/College degree in Public Relations/Communications or equivalent work experience
- Minimum three years direct work experience in related field.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Advanced understanding and use of social media
- Computer literacy is required; particularly word processing, spreadsheet, internet applications, graphics suites, and Word Press/ HTML.
- Strong customer service work ethic and attention to detail
- Exceptional time management skills
- Valid driver’s license and immediate accessible transportation.
- Bilingualism considered an asset
Monday, September 30, 2013