Union/Affiliation: Administrative and Professional Staff (APSA)
Pay range: $52,872 To $63,139 Annually
SFU Department Description: External Relations - Communications & Marketing
Position Grade: 6
# of openings: 1
Biweekly Hours: 72
SFU’s Communications and Marketing team is comprised of consultative problem-solvers who deliver strategies that help inform our key audiences and influence their attitudes, perceptions and behaviours in support of SFU’s vision: to be Canada’s engaged university.
As part of the internal communications team, the Associate will support a number of key university priorities including equity, diversity, and inclusion, Indigenization, decolonization and reconciliation. The Associate will plan, develop and implement operational and strategic communication campaigns that support SFU in its commitment to creating a university community where all feel welcome, safe and appreciated. Candidates should have a demonstrated interest in social justice (preferably with lived experience) and a solid understanding of principles of equity, diversity and inclusion.
The Communications Associate develops and maintains relationships with communications and administrative leads across the university; and proactively develops content on a broad variety of topics and in diverse formats for SFU's main communications channels. The Associate prepares SFU faculty and administration members for interviews and serves as the first point of contact for internal communications related inquiries. The role is responsible for developing and executing strategic communications plans; developing communications content; provides communications consultation and advice for university staff and faculty; and performs project facilitation activities to deliver communication strategies.
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Marketing, or other relevant discipline and two years of related experience interacting with media and key stakeholders or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Ability to rewrite news and social media content into concise and informative digests.
- Ability to maintain a professional manner when interacting with external media partners as well as faculty and staff contacts.
- Ability to function effectively in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Good knowledge of communication, promotion, and marketing principles, practices, and strategies.
- Good knowledge of current social media and online communication channels (i.e., blogs, Twitter).
- Good organizational, problem-solving and project facilitation skills.
- Ability to implement communications plans for strategic priorities.
- Ability to write a variety of communications content for print and web publication and to adapt writing style for various audiences.
- Ability to interact productively and professionally with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Proficient in the use of standard office software, email, and desktop operating systems (e.g., Windows, Mac O/S).