Union/Affiliation: Administrative and Professional Staff (APSA)
Pay range: $56,108 to $67,004 annually
SFU Department Description: External Relations - Communications & Marketing
Position Grade: 6
# of openings: 1
Biweekly Hours: 72
The Communications Associate develops and maintains relationships with media; and proactively contacts media to pitch potential stories for placement. The Associate prepares SFU faculty and administration members for media interviews and serves as the first point of contact for media-related inquiries. The role is responsible for developing and executing strategic communications plans; developing communications content; provides communications and media relations consultation and advice for university staff and faculty; and performs project facilitation activities to deliver communication strategies.
Bachelor's degree in Communications, Marketing, or other relevant discipline and two years of related experience interacting with media and key stakeholders or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Ability to rewrite news media and social media content into concise and informative digests.
- Ability to maintain a professional manner when interacting with external media partners as well as faculty and staff contacts.
- Ability to function effectively in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Good knowledge of communication, promotion, and marketing principles, practices, and strategies.
- Good knowledge of current social media and online communication channels (i.e., blogs, Twitter).
- Good organizational, problem-solving and project facilitation skills.
- Ability to implement communications plans for strategic priorities.
- Ability to write a variety of communications content for print and web publication and to adapt writing style for various audiences.
- Ability to interact productively and professionally with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Proficient in the use of standard office software, email, and desktop operating systems (e.g., Windows, Mac O/S).
Assignment End Date: February 6, 2023.