Communications and Marketing Officer (Digital) full-time
Union/Affiliation: Administrative and Professional Staff (APSA)
Pay range: $61,225 To $73,114 Annually
SFU Department Description: Office of the Vice-President, Research and International
Position Grade: 8
# of openings: 1
Biweekly Hours: 72
The Communications and Marketing Officer assists in the development, implementation, assessment, and ongoing enrichment of all Vice-President, Research and International (VPRI) portfolio related marketing and communications initiatives, while ensuring consistency with strategy goals and objectives of the VPRI portfolio. The Officer assists in the development of an overarching digital strategic plan for the VPRI portfolio and executes tactics as part of the strategy. The position researches the usage and effectiveness of digital communications marketing materials and channels, reports findings to Senior Manager, Director and key stakeholders, and recommends improvements for the future. The Officer works in collaboration with the VPRI C&M team, SFU Communications and Marketing staff, SFU Faculty Communicators, Ceremonies & Events and Government Relations. The role is responsible for the planning and implementation of internal and external events sponsored or hosted by the VPRI portfolio, and for researching and writing VPRI reports, communications & marketing strategies, event plans, speaking notes for the VPRI and Associate Vice-President, Research (AVPR), and other C&M needs for the VPRI portfolio. The Officer liaises with internal and external offices and individuals, and acts as a key staff person representing the VPRI portfolio to the university community and public. The Officer also plays a role in the coordination and marketing of large research funding announcements and events held at SFU.
- Bachelor's degree in communications, marketing, or a relevant discipline, with a minimum of three years of related professional experience in communications, marketing, digital C&M, event planning, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Excellent knowledge of communications, marketing, and brand development strategies.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal, analytical reasoning, and problem- solving skills.
- Excellent organizational, time management and project management skills.
- Excellent skills in planning and executing event plans and attending events/conferences.
- Ability to research and draft communications including speaking notes, SFU News stories, activity reports, print collateral, and social media content.
- Ability to conceptualize, develop, and manage strategic creative projects within timelines and budgets.
- Ability to exercise mature judgment, tact, sensitivity and a high level of discretion.
- Ability to manage and motivate both individuals and teams; build effective relationships cross-functionally; and collaborate successfully across inter-departmental and multi-campus boundaries.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Proficient in the use of video editing and graphic design software (e.g. Adobe Creative Suite).
- Ability to use word processing, spreadsheet, calendar, etc.
- Excellent knowledge of digital communication, promotion, and marketing principles and practices, as well as strategies using digital media.
- Excellent knowledge of social media tools, including statistics reporting and tracking (e.g. Google Analytics).
- Excellent knowledge of following institutional/organizational brand and editorial guidelines.
- Excellent project planning and management skills.
- Excellent facilitation, conflict-resolution, interpersonal, and communication (verbal, written, and presentation) skills.
- Excellent consensus building skills, teamwork and relationship management skills.
Ability to organize administrative and planning systems and drafting digital procedures and reports.
Ability to exercise mature judgment, initiative, diplomacy, and tact.
Please include your cover letter and resume in one attachment.