STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as “Scientists Helping Scientists” – standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have approximately 500 science-oriented employees globally, including 100 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in BC.
Currently we have an opening for an Associate Director, E-commerce and Website Design. This position reports to the VP, Business Operations and is responsible for driving short- and long-term profitable growth through online sales channels. With direct responsibility for the strategic planning and execution of STEMCELL’s e-commerce initiatives, this position is also responsible for the design and management of STEMCELL’s corporate website. This is an opportunity to join one of Canada’s most consistently successful biotechnology companies and lead at the forefront of a new company initiative to develop and redesign its e-commerce and website capabilities for the future.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop STEMCELL’s e-commerce strategy and drive its execution as directly measured by on-line revenue growth, website traffic, lead generation and SEO rankings.
- Translate corporate and departmental goals and objectives into actionable and measurable e-commerce programs.
- Work with IT, R&D, Sales and Marketing teams to re-design and launch a new company website with a focus on e-commerce.
- Work closely with the members of the R&D, Marketing and Sales teams to ensure product information on the website is complete, well organized, and easy to find.
- Work with Sales to develop third party procurement companies and online marketplaces as a sales channel to drive additional revenue and directly support STEMCELL’s field sales team.
- Bring perspectives that incorporate leading and emerging best practices from the e-commerce landscape, including mobile, to meet STEMCELL’s business and customer needs.
- Work with Sales to design, execute and manage a social media strategy to support our philosophy of “Scientists Helping Scientists”.
- Plan and manage the budget for STEMCELL’s e-commerce programs.
- Lead, manage, coach, develop and evaluate direct reports through regular one-on-one and team meetings.
- Assess and evaluate training needs of direct reports; ensure training and development needs are met within department plans and budgets.
- Conduct and document performance reviews (quarterly goals and annual reviews) and make compensation recommendations for direct reports in accordance with company policies and practices.
- Ensure all corporate and departmental legal obligations, policies and procedures are understood and followed by all direct reports.
- Must have a minimum 5 years’ experience in an e-commerce-related leadership role.
- Expert understanding of e-commerce and current industry best practices.
- Experience with website design as well as web shop workflows and available technologies.
- Experience integrating product and pricing information with 3rd party procurement systems and online marketplaces.
- Thorough understanding of mobile and web-based e-commerce applications, paid search and SEO, social media, email marketing and other “push” technologies.
- Understanding of Google Analytics, Google AdWords, LinkedIn and Facebook advertising, and social media monitoring platforms.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with strong interpersonal and leadership abilities.
- A willingness to challenge traditional practices and advance innovative ways of addressing business challenges and resolving problems.
- Prior experience leading a team and managing direct reports.
- Minimum BSc. required. Graduate degree in the biological sciences plus a degree in marketing, design, information technology or related field will be an asset.
- Practical laboratory experience and understanding of research scientists needs is desirable.