Web Services Manager
University of Guelph-Humber IT Department
Created from a partnership between the University of Guelph and the Humber Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning, the University of Guelph-Humber combines the strengths of each institution to meet the demands of higher education in today’s market.
This key role is an exciting career opportunity for a digital leader and communicator who can interact effectively with a dynamic array of industry and business partners to ensure the planning and deployment of leading-edge solutions in this ever-changing field. Working in Toronto, the Manager, Web Services, will provide high-level support and advice to senior management, while being in charge of building and executing the digital communication strategy for the University of Guelph-Humber’s main website to support institutional goals, brand and reputation. Reporting to the Department Head, Finance & Administration, University of Guelph-Humber (UofGH), you will assume all staffing responsibilities (hiring, developing, coordinating, etc.) for the growing team of individuals that provide web development, technology and content support. You will also serve as one of the key content generators, along with overseeing service delivery, strategic planning and execution, budgeting and procurement, and departmental administration.
Your specific duties as Web Services Manager will encompass:
- strategic and operational oversight of Web Services Department;
- hands-on leadership and editorial guidance for the creation of digital promotion and the optimization of the online experience for prospective and current students, advancing the University’s profile while considering the diversity of internal and external audiences;
- writing, editing, reorganizing and repurposing existing copy for web consumption;
- developing and managing Home Page communications, ensuring that content is compelling, timely, relevant, and on message, including images, video and overall graphic appearance;
- providing creative support and integrated marketing communications development for departments across the University;
- building and maintaining relationships with internal and external key stakeholders, and partnering with them, to ensure that the website meets University needs, aligns with the brand strategy, meets University Web standards and complies with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) legislation as well as meeting critical security standards;
- evaluating the UofGH website and leading initiatives to make adjustments to design, technology and navigation to support and drive the UofGH branding initiative and strategic plan;
- maintaining project goals, identifying key performance indicators and measuring project success, and reporting results to colleagues and University leaders;
- researching and analyzing the competitive environment and trends in post-secondary education, using the findings to inform website marketing and communication strategies.
To assume the role of Manager, Web Services, you must have:
- an undergraduate degree (master’s preferred) in Digital Communications, English or a related field, plus 6 years’ related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- experience in the development and design of web content, ensuring usability, and strong experience with digital marketing and communications;
- demonstrated ability to lead and manage a web team and process, including a minimum of 5 years of experience supervising and providing leadership;
- demonstrated in-depth understanding of academic web service goals, organizational structure and mandate;
- exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with excellent proofreading and editing skills;
- strong computer skills, with knowledge of MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite, web content management tools (Drupal preferred), social media and mobile applications, HTML;
- excellent project management skills, including experience with iterative project management techniques (Project Management certifications (PMI) preferred);
- experience working in an academic environment, with a demonstrated in-depth understanding of user needs and web communication activities relevant to the community;
- excellent interpersonal skills, business acumen and strategic thinking;
- strong analytical ability and demonstrated superior aptitude in planning;
- proven track record in leadership competencies centred on big picture orientation through the implementation of best practices and solutions;
- ability to negotiate with both internal and external stakeholders to achieve desired results;
- team-building skills to foster collaboration and create an environment to engage and develop others.
- knowledge of business analysis practice and methodology, web development practices and trends, good practice frameworks (PMI), and relevant regulatory compliance (AODA, PCI, security, privacy);
- ability to develop effective roadmaps and understand emerging technologies.
Our students benefit from a theoretical broad-based university education and career-focused options. Our growing, progressive university is home to a diverse and vibrant community of dedicated professionals. This is a place where people matter.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but wish to advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The University of Guelph-Humber is committed to equity in its policies, practices and programs, supports diversity in its teaching, learning and work environments, and ensures that applications from members of underrepresented groups are seriously considered under its employment equity policy. All qualified individuals who would contribute to the further diversification of our University community are encouraged to apply.