Marketing and Communications at TRU
Marketing and Communications works like an in-house agency through the application of strategic, creative marketing and communications. We are driven by great concepts, anchored by clear and accurate copy, enhanced by effective design and measured to assess impact and increase that impact, over time.
We are committed to helping the TRU community define and meet their diverse marketing and communications goals in support of the university's primary goal: to serve and support students. This priority remains top-of-mind in the work we do and we’d love you to join our team as a Web Developer.
Diverse and open with spectacular views! Tk’emlúps (Kamloops), in the heart of Southern British Columbia, lies in a spectacular natural setting of river valleys, semi-arid grasslands, pine and fir forests, lakes, and mountain peak. TRU is located on the traditional lands of the Tk'emlúps te Secwépemc (Kamloops campus) and the T’exelc (Williams Lake campus) within Secwépemc'ulucw, the traditional and unceded territory of the Secwépemc. Our region also extends into the territories of the St’át’imc, Nlaka’pamux, Nuxalk, Tŝilhqot'in and Dakelh peoples. Friendly and welcoming, Kamloops offers a safe and supportive environment, affordability, four seasons of outdoor adventures, a wide range of sporting events and a rich cultural scene. The city is a convenient 3.5-hour drive or 45-minute flight from Vancouver.
TRU gives students the advantage of small class sizes, the availability of undergraduate research and a centrally located campus. More than 26,000 students study at TRU either on campus or online. They consist of 10 per cent Indigenous students and more than 30 per cent international students from around the globe.
TRU aims to eliminate achievement gaps; honour Truth, Reconciliation, and Rights of Indigenous peoples; lead in community research and scholarship; design lifelong learning; and lead in sustainability. Our values are: Inclusion and Diversity, Curiosity, and Sustainability. For a tour of our campus, please take a tour with TRU alumni Tim and Caitlin.
The full job description is included below for your review. Please contact Jessa Chupik at email@example.com to discuss the role and to explore joining the TRU community!
Under the direction of the Manager of Web Strategy, this position participates in planning, designing, developing, and implementing web strategies for the TRU web site. By developing and maintaining style guides, this position ensures TRU's online graphic and web guidelines are implemented correctly and effectively. This position works to increase the appeal, functionality, user-experience and accessibility of TRU web properties.
As a member of the Marketing & Communications team, this position understands, advances and supports members of the team in meeting overall institutional MarCom strategies and priorities, within a web and online context.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design, develop and maintain TRU web properties.
- Develop templates for use in TRU's content management systems.
- Design, propose and deliver web site structure, wireframes, mockups, creative concepts, images, graphics and other visual displays.
- Provide coaching, guidance and oversight to ensure TRU's graphic guidelines and visual identity is implemented correctly and effectively online.
- Utilize data to support evidence-based enhancements to content, information architecture and design using website analytics, competitive analyses, usability and focus group feedback, and similar research methods.
- Design and execute marketing and communications campaigns and strategies.
- Develop and maintain web design standards, style guides and user manuals for web development and interface design.
- Analyze customer needs in order to design and implement technical solutions in line with department and university goals.
- Maintain a high level of quality customer service standards in dealing with and responding to questions and problems including development and delivery of technical training.
- Ensure the website is a showcase for TRU's brand.
- Evaluate and demonstrate new web technology as it becomes available for the purpose of determining how these can benefit TRU.
Manager, Web Strategy
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline
- Five (5) years' related experience, including:
- 3 years of Graphic User Interface Design
- Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, Sublime Text and other modern web development tools
- Maintaining websites and applications that use PHP utilizing MySQL
- Using Google Analytics
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE OR ABILITIES RELATED TO THE JOB
- Demonstrated ability to develop responsive web solutions that are supported by different browsers, devices and platforms
- Proficient at designing visually attractive page and site mockups that are brand-focused and user-centric
- Competent at converting page mockups into functioning sites using HTML, CSS and JQuery
- Knowledge of current and emerging web design, web-based marketing and UI/UX standards
- Demonstrated ability to create graphics that meets current industry standards in communication design, accessibility and usability
- Skills in graphic design and front-end web development
- Organizational skills, including ability to participate in complex projects, set and meet timelines, and focus on institutional objectives
- Advanced interpersonal skills, including verbal, written and presentation skills
- Adept at working effectively in teams with members possessing diverse skill sets, experience and ways of working
- Understanding of website metrics, data analysis, behavioral analysis and reporting tools
- Knowledge of standard search engine optimization techniques
- Ability to facilitate training and coaching
- Sitting at desk and computer for long periods of time
- General office conditions