About the Opportunity
We are looking for a self-motivated professional who will thrive in our interdisciplinary and collaborative environment and wants to take ownership of their contribution to our organization – to work with us to heighten our capacity to convey key messages and decide the best way to create, design and communicate through visuals. This position is for a maternity leave coverage (14-month contract).
In the Vancouver office you will primarily work with our team of landscape architects, community planners, engineers, and governance and finance specialists in the delivery of services to local governments, government organizations, non-profits, and First Nations. You will provide visual communications in support of assignments such as comprehensive community plans, land use plans, parks and recreation master plans, governance studies, financial plans, infrastructure studies, and more. Your role will include collaboration with our communications team in the preparation of public engagement materials (including print and online engagement), involvement in the visual design of project proposals and reports, assistance with presentations, and preparation of educational guidebooks.
- Build our storytelling capacity to support our work with clients through visual communications
- Collaborate with clients and internal teams (various project teams, administration team, visual communication group) to create proposal and reports layouts, presentations, info sheets/executive summaries, miscellaneous supplemental infographics and diagrams, project branding and community engagement materials such as posters, adverts, handouts, and workbooks
- Translate data from reports, surveys and other reference material to create visual representations such as infographics
- Apply knowledge of layout and typography to produce quality deliverables for both print and digital. Proof/edit final files with an eagle eye to ensure quality, consistency and accuracy
- Prepare material for print and/or web production (in-house or externally) and coordinate with external vendors for these services
- Design visual concepts to best convey messages to their intended audiences while being aligned with client expectations, vision and overall deliverables
- Be a self-starting, motivated individual with an ability and willingness to handle multiple projects and adhere to deadlines
- Be a multi-team player – we are a networked organization with teams that cross disciplines and geographic locations. You will need to leverage your relationship building skills to work with various technical experts, project leaders, and project coordinators to deliver work to our clients
- Be an integrated member of our networked visual communications group for technical, developmental, and workload support
To do this job well you’ll need:
- Intermediate design experience (3-5 years) in a professional work environment
- Completion of post-secondary education with a focus on visual communications
- Consultative approach to design and demonstrated maturity in relationship development, critical thinking and decision-making ability
- Positive outlook and highly developed interpersonal skills – the ability to quickly develop a rapport with staff and clients (internal and external)
- Expert level proficiency with the Adobe Creative Suite; Strong Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (including PowerPoint, Word, Excel)
- Creative and innovative thinking skills and the ability to develop fresh graphic ideas – you can take a mass of information, distill the key messages and represent this visually
- To be a self-starter with good business sense who can work independently but in a collaborative environment – you have proven abilities to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment while taking direction and welcoming feedback throughout the design process
- A strong understanding of audience and ability to listen to clients and understand their needs before making design decisions or crafting visual designs that represent our client’s concepts, vision, and goals
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have four decades of experience working with a variety of clients including all levels of government, First Nations, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of 450+ people is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes, both large and small.
Our Commitment to You
At Urban Systems we make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire those who we believe will thrive in Urban Systems over the long term. We’ve become recognized as a workplace of choice by nurturing a unique corporate culture that sets us apart and provides:
- Challenging and interesting project opportunities
- A fun workplace, where hard work accomplishes great things
- The opportunity to work with industry leading professionals in a collaborative environment
- Ongoing career development and learning
- Meaningful rewards and recognition
Perfect your job application with VisualCV so you can get hired faster!