Laura Ballance Media Group (LBMG), a full service, integrated public relations and advertising agency based in Vancouver, has an opening position for a Vice President of Communications to join our growing media and public relations team.
Our firm is well known for working with many of Vancouver and Canada’s most dynamic events, and organizations - including the Forest Products Association of Canada; the Pacific National Exhibition; the Squamish Valley Music Festival; Vancouver International Airport Authority; Disney On Ice; and Community Futures, among others.
Reporting to the President, and serving as an integral member of the senior leadership team, the Vice President of Communications will be responsible for the development of strategic communications for LBMG’s wide range of corporate, government, not-for-profit and event clients. Additionally, this position is responsible for contributing to LBMG’s organizational strategic planning process.
The VP Communications will be responsible for the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of strategic public relations and communications activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of our clients. This position will oversee LBMG’s communications division and a dynamic staff team.
Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Develop and implement integrated strategic communications plans
- Create marketing/public relations strategy that will allow LBMG clients to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting, planning and staff development
Government Relations/Public Affairs
- Develop strategic government relations plans and advise senior municipal government on best practices
- Identify issues and within the context of the political landscape, strategize viable solutions
- Ability to liaise senior government officials with insightful consul and diplomacy
- Recruit, manage and mentor the LBMG communications team
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field is required, an advanced degree is preferred
- Minimum 5-7 years experience in a senior management role either in-house or with an agency
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top tier reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements
- Extensive successful writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online communications media
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, government relations/public affairs and marketing program to advance an organization’s mission and goals
- Creative and thoughtful on how social media can be utilized
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output
- Experience in building, mentoring, and coaching a team of communications specialists
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
Compensation: This is a full-time position with a competitive benefits package. Salary will be commensurate by experience.