Temporary full-time position (1-year)
Join the country’s most trusted environmental organization and become a force for good.
We find solutions for living within the limits of nature. Through a combination of evidence-based science and active public engagement, we seek to motivate Canadians to take action on the pressing environmental challenges we face.With headquarters in Vancouver and regional offices in Toronto and Montreal, we address issues from coast to coast to coast, in both official languages. With the support of scientists, academics, progressive businesses, governments, non-governmental organizations and hundreds of thousands of Canadians we aim to achieve this vision: “That within a generation Canadians act on the understanding that we are interconnected and interdependent with nature, and with each other.”
We’re looking for someone with a great attitude, who brings creativity and fresh perspective to our voice and online engagement.
This role will support and execute content initiatives across our core social media channels where we are speaking in our brand voice. This work will contribute to integral awareness of the DSF and our campaigns to drive engagement, advocacy and donations. You must have extraordinary writing and communication skills and demonstrate expertise in multimedia social content.
You have an intellectual curiosity about emerging technology, stay abreast of digital trends and are passionate about driving online outreach across all of our digital and social channels. You are a master at speaking and communicating to our online audience in a consistent, strong, appealing voice.
The Social Media Specialist is a critical team member who has a deep knowledge of the fundamentals of content marketing and a track record of producing creative, shareable content.
Your main responsibilities will include:
- Lead the development and implementation of the overall social media strategy for the Foundation. Help new audiences discover our work on Environmental Rights, Biodiversity, and Climate Solutions, and connect them to effective actions they can take to support true sustainability in Canada
- Lead a team of social content producers across our regional teams – help coordinate our work on oceans, pollinators, species at risk, renewable energy, and environmental rights to make the most of our large social media reach
- Train staff in social media community management and engagement, and engage with our online community to help maintain healthy dialogue and sharing on our social platforms
- Help develop powerful and engaging social experiences for our supporters, expand the organization’s digital presence and extend the reach and impact of our work.
- Conduct regular social campaigns and track their success (e.g., Twitter chats, LinkedIn discussions, etc.)
- Provide graphic design services as requested for campaigns and initiatives that will be reflected on our social channels
- Working with our Communications Manager, help grow the profile of our core spokespeople on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn
- Proactively seek opportunities to improve and strengthen our communication and showcase our work through digital storytelling
- Work cross-functionally to devise and execute social media strategies for national or local events
- Ensure that all social touchpoints align to brand guidelines
- In collaboration with Comms leadership, help develop and then oversee visual, verbal, motion and audio brand guidelines and best practice for our family of brands
- Collaborate with the Digital team to develop initiatives that are proven to increase lead generation, website visits and supporter acquisition
- Develop, maintain and manage an editorial calendar for social posts - the source of truth for content being written and published
- Identify influencer engagement opportunities
- Monitor and engage in relevant social discussions about our organization and/or other associated non-profits, and report back relevant findings to the team and management
- Review and analyze social KPIs on a weekly, monthly, and quarterly basis and turn recommendations into concrete plans
- Maintain a strong grasp of social media and industry trends, and proactively seek opportunities to leverage this knowledge at DSF
- Maintain key assets such as a photo archive to be used across DSF regional and programmatic departments and teams
You bring the following qualifications:
- 3+ years social media experience and ability to demonstrate consistent competency across all social media channels including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest and more.
- Superb organizational, project, and time management skills to meet deadlines
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- A strong aptitude for creativity on the fly
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent analytic, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- Experience collaborating with media relations teams to integrate traditional and social media strategies
- Graphic design skills including using Adobe Photoshop to design assets for social campaigns
- Experience in content marketing and social storytelling
- Analytics skills and have experience working with Google Analytics, Hootsuite and/or any other social listening tools
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team
- Have a positive attitude and a great sense of humour
- Computer skills required: MS Office Suite, Google Analytics
- Strong interest in the environmental movement and online advocacy