Social Media Specialist
Temporary, part-time position (3 days per week, to March 31, 2019) – Toronto, ON
The Royal Ontario Museum (ROM), Canada’s celebrated international museum, housing important collections in art, culture and nature (www.rom.on.ca), is seeking a hands-on communicator for the role of part-time Social Media Specialist.
Working with the other Marketing Department team members, and reporting to the AVP, Marketing and Promotions, you will communicate on the ROM’s social media accounts, including Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. With the primary focus on customer service, you will also help create high-impact content that is multi-platform, relevant and community-driven. In addition, you will oversee on-line conversations, assist in generating stories about the ROM’s collections, research and activities, answer questions and help grow the ROM’s social media networks.
You must have active accounts across key social media sites, including, but not limited to, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, and be able to demonstrate proficiency using multiple platforms in a business capacity. In addition, you will have:
- At least two years of post-secondary education/training resulting in a community college diploma in digital media, communications/marketing, journalism, etc.
- A minimum of two years’ experience in a communications, marketing, digital or social media role (arts/culture/entertainment industry preferred).
- Experience in community management for a large brand or institution is preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency with online search, social media dashboards, and listening tools.
- Strong awareness of the social media landscape and emerging technologies within this area.
- Excellent verbal communication, traditional writing and grammatical skills, as well as an expert knowledge of social media language to present ideas and information clearly in a public forum.
- Experience using storytelling as a communication framework.
- Collaborative team player, able to work with a diverse team of employees from across the Museum.
- Ability to work under pressure, manage multiple priorities and meet tight deadlines.
- Superior attention to detail and strong organizational skills,
- A willingness to work non-standard business hours as required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the arts, culture, history and science. Familiarity with the ROM is an asset.
- Strong photography/video skills are an asset.
- Written and oral French language skills are strongly preferred.
STARTING DATE: November 2018
SALARY: $32.07 per hour
Please submit your application, preferably by e-mail, by 5 p.m., November 13, 2018, to: Royal Ontario Museum, Human Resources, 100 Queen’s Park, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2C6. E-mail: email@example.com. Please include Competition #2018-099 Social Media Specialist on the subject line.
The ROM is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. Upon request, suitable accommodations are available under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) to applicants invited to an interview.