403 - Social Media Manager
37.5 Hours / Week
Stanley Park - Vancouver
The social media manager works within an award winning communications team. He/she contributes to the development, and leads the execution and measurement of the organization’s digital strategies to achieve increased public awareness and goodwill across a broad audience. Contributes to the development of an annual communications strategy to share conservation, research and education stories across a broad online audience. Takes the lead on implementing the social media strategy to actively engage with Vancouver Aquarium’s online community. Serves as project manager, editor and writer for AquaBlog. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of social media campaigns.
The social media manager works within the External Relations group, as part of the Communications team, and will establish, build and maintain relationships with cross-functional teams, provide coaching on best practices and oversee overall social media outreach.
Creates and ensures the successful execution of Vancouver Aquarium’s social media strategy to meaningfully engage visitors and supporters, support seasonal features and new exhibits and increase brand loyalty by:
- Planning, leading and measuring outcomes of social media plans/campaigns;
- Activating, influencing and overseeing the Aquarium’s social media presence and communicating its brand in a manner that creates an engaged community;
- Contributing to the development of an annual editorial strategy and leads execution of the social media editorial calendar to plan stories and promotional/brand positioning opportunities;
- Monitoring social media channels and facilitating responses to inquiries received through social networks;
- Analyzing metrics and results for trends, monitoring social activity and applying best practices;
- Assessing existing social channels and determining expansion of other social media platforms;
- Providing ongoing coaching to internal teams and managing social platforms for consistency of voice, tone and brand alignment;
- Collaborating with communications, marketing, content, and other key program teams to ensure social media activations proactively support annual goals and objectives.
Leads and executes annual AquaBlog editorial plan to raise awareness about conservation, research and education programs and actively engage online supporters by:
- Planning, managing and measuring communications outcomes of the AquaBlog;
- Developing an annual editorial plan and collaborating with program leads to research, draft and/or edit stories;
- Collaborating with cross-functional team members to suggest story ideas, provide editorial support and increase readership/engagement via digital channels.
Contributes to communications, marketing and content strategies that connect stakeholders to the mission by:
- Creating innovative activations to drive destination excitement;
- Establishing and building online relationships with key influencers through proactive digital strategies and execution;
- Developing social media campaigns and activations that convince Canadians to become active participants of conservation programs.
- Continually improves our impact on the environment and greening of operations through support of Environmental Management Systems (EMS) protocols;
- Maintaining and supporting organizational safety standards;
- Performs additional duties as required.
Education and Experience
- Five to eight years of communications and marketing experience;
- Three to five years of progressive experience leading social media strategy, programs and campaigns, including a thorough knowledge and demonstrated skills in leading digital platforms;
- Undergraduate degree in communications or marketing;
- Experience in communications planning, execution and measurement;
- Expert in social media tools, platforms and practices;
- Science writing/marine biology background would be an asset.
- Hands-on team player with excellent people skills;
- Superior organizational ability and time management skills;
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining highest standards of accuracy and quality;
- Superior writing and speaking ability;
- Excellent relationship building skills to develop strong relations with persons at all levels within and external to the organization;
- Comfort and confidence in working with senior executives;
- Proven communications, marketing and promotion skills;
- Outstanding written, oral communication and presentation skills;
- Ability to work with a high degree of discretion and tact in handling confidential matters;
- Detail oriented and accurate in execution, ability to work well under pressure and with minimal supervision;
- Thrives in a fast-paced work environment, maintains a positive frame of mind and sets an example of professionalism for other employees;
- Demonstrated analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills;
- Advanced level MS Office, social media platforms and related digital tools.
- Rotating, on-call 24/7 to monitor and respond to social media inquiries/issues;
- Normal office environment with usual conditions, though may be called on to work in various off-site locations;
- May be required to occasionally work in the evening and/or weekend for event(s) and media cultivation;
- Role requires the ability to meet timelines and deadlines, and to work under pressure.