Posting Close Date: 30 May 2017
The University of Victoria is one of Victoria's largest employers and one of Canada’s best diversity employers. Together we are more than 5,000 dedicated faculty, librarians and staff supporting the University of Victoria’s diverse academic programs, world-class research and commitment to civic engagement.
University Communications + Marketing provides strategic leadership and tactical support to assist UVic to realize its vision of being a university of choice for outstanding students, faculty and staff from BC, Canada and around the globe; strengthen its position among the best universities in Canada and the world; and achieve recognition for UVic’s significant contributions toward the betterment of global society. The department ensures that UVic’s communications and marketing initiatives are aligned with the needs of the university’s most significant target audiences, and focused on what makes UVic distinct.
Communications + Marketing leads the development and promotion of a consistent institutional narrative, a compelling and strategic long-term positioning for UVic, and an institutional communications and marketing plan aimed at promoting UVic’s interests in the competition for students, faculty, staff, financial support and institutional reputation. With the direct guidance of the university’s Executive Council, the department works with academic and administrative units as partners, to make the most effective use of university resources to advance unit and institutional priorities.
Communications + Marketing is organized into six highly collaborative teams arranged around its main areas of responsibility: Media Relations and Public Affairs, Strategic Marketing, Internet Strategies, Creative Development, Internal Communications and Publications, and Administrative Support.
The University Internet Strategies team provides campus-wide leadership in and is responsible for the university’s internet communications strategies, from supporting university policy through standards, guidelines and procedures to internet-based infrastructure, including websites, social media channels and video. The team promotes and facilitates implementation, and supports the use of effective internet communications strategies at the university. The team provides expertise to both centralized and decentralized web resources on campus.
Reporting to the Manager, University Internet Strategies, the Social Media Coordinator will direct and promote the consistent use of social media as a public communications platform on behalf of the university and in partnership with all unit and faculty communications across the university.
Core responsibilities include:
- Recommends and implements a central social media strategy for the university
- Recommends a paid promotion strategy as well as planning, executing and evaluating individual online campaigns
- Sharing institutional narrative and tracking the impact across social media channels
- Monitoring the university's presence across social media channels and responding on behalf of the university and recommending appropriate institutional responses
- Coordinating emergency responses consistently with the university's emergency planning
- Building a collaborative environment with units across campus to respond to issues, questions and/or concerns
- Providing campus-wide training
- Research and new initiatives
A bachelor’s degree in Communications (or related field), with Computer Science experience or experience in a related field, and four years of experience in social media development, campaign planning/execution and customer service. Experience must include:
- Proficiency with the most popular social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+;
- Successful full-cycle complex project management;
- Integration of social media API specifications with website content management configurations, and related technical infrastructure;
- at least 3 years’ experience in HTML/XHTML, CSS, web program scripting.
In addition, this position requires:
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community;
- Excellent time management skills and an ability to prioritize workload, shifting attention among dynamic tasks and priorities;
- Ability to synthesize and share information effectively;
- Ability to learn, understand and communicate with all audiences;
- Accuracy and attention to detail;
- Good judgment;
- Commitment to service excellence.
Preference may be given to work experience gained in a post-secondary or similarly complex, large organization; and/or to established news writing portfolio.