Senior Web & Mobile Developer - Full Stack
(1 year contracts)
As the technological extension of Ontario’s public education system, TVO’s vision is to create a better world through the power of learning.
TVO provides learning opportunities for Ontarians through innovative educational products, in-depth current affairs, groundbreaking documentaries, and award-winning TVOKids resources both inside and outside the classroom. TVO is funded primarily by the Province of Ontario and is a registered charity supported by sponsors and thousands of donors. For more information, visit tvo.org.
Are you a collaborative and motivated person looking for a new and challenging opportunity? Do you want to work with a brilliant, agile cross-functional team? Do you have a strong technical background with extensive experience building web applications?
We are looking for Senior Web & Mobile Developers that have exceptional web application development skills. We are building a tutoring platform with real-time two-way audio chat communication. If you are you looking to work on a challenging project using the latest technologies, while making a difference for students across Ontario, then this is the opportunity for you!
- Design, program, test, optimize, and support TVO websites to the prescribed architecture
- Conduct work in accordance with TVO’s project management and software development methodology
- Work with clients (producers, content creators, and creative design staff from business areas) to develop functionality that delivers high quality, high performance, robust web service to customers
- Work with I.T. Infrastructure Specialists on infrastructure requirements and production support issues
- Identify system deficiencies, de-bug and implement solutions
- Help to establish and adhere to coding and development standards and practices including:
- Participation in iteration planning meetings, providing estimates and solution alternatives
- Implement automated behavioural, functional and integration tests
- Peer code reviews and pair programming as appropriate
- Version and release management
- System monitoring and debugging
- Deficiency and bug tracking/management
- Appropriate system documentation
- Ensure security of all Web sites and related applications
- Perform periodic website audits
- Stay abreast of trends in software and web development; conduct research into current and emerging technologies and issues in support of Web and Mobile development efforts
- Bachelor of Science in computer science, engineering, information technology or similar discipline
- 5 or more years’ experience architecting, developing and deploying high-scale, secure web applications
Required Knowledge and Experience:
- Experience with and strong knowledge of PHP
- Experience with CSS pre-processors like SASS and Less
- Experience with AJAX, web services & RESTful interface development
- Exposure to build & process tools like Grunt, Gulp, etc.
- Strong understanding of relational databases; experience with MySQL/MariaDB and SQL implementation
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment
- Experience with Git source control
- Good knowledge of Automated testing frameworks, such as PHPUnit
- Experience and understanding of software design patterns, software engineering best practices, user experience issues, Internet design principles, W3C standards, AODA accessibility compliance, and Windows and MacOS interface standards
- Familiar with WAMP/LAMP stack
- Experience with streaming media and HTML5 multimedia features like HTML5 audio
- Experience with VOIP protocols and technologies
- Experience with real-time communication mechanisms such as WebSockets and WebRTC
- Experience with low latency audio and video streaming
- Experience with Secure application development (TLS, SSL), User Authentication and SSO (Single Sign On)
- Knowledge of Amazon Web Services
- Excellent written, oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to conduct research into emerging Internet technologies and programming languages
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language
- Highly self-motivated and directed with a keen attention to detail
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Demonstrates TVO's values of Excellence & Innovation, Ownership, Collaboration, Trust and Respect
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a current resume by the stated date at 5:00 p.m.
For Additional information about TVO please check out our website at TVO.org to access all of our web properties.
TVO is an equal opportunity employer and will endeavour to accommodate job applicants with disabilities through the People & Culture Division. Upon request, all job postings will be made available in alternative format.
TVO is committed to achieve a skilled workforce reflective of the population of Ontario.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.