Simon Fraser University is Canada's best comprehensive university with three campuses in Metro Vancouver. Through the strength and commitment of our staff and faculty, SFU is recognized as a top employer in both BC and Canada. We invite applications for the following position:
Administrative and Professional Staff (APSA)
SENIOR DIRECTOR, MEDIA RELATIONS & PUBLIC AFFAIRS, GRADE 14
EXTERNAL RELATIONS - COMMUNICATIONS & MARKETING
POSITION NUMBER: 116785
Reporting to the Executive Director, Communications & Marketing, the Senior Director, Media Relations and Public Affairs provides senior level strategic communication counsel to the President to strengthen the alignment of communications within the University's leadership and promotes the growth of SFU's brand as Canada's leading engaged University. The Senior Director is responsible for developing and implementing an executive platform strategy for the President, providing communications counsel on select issues of management topics within the President's office, and supporting government communications that require connectivity between various offices between the President and the Vice-President, External Relations. The Senior Director provides communications and marketing support for major projects and special initiatives and functions as a central senior operational advisor on behalf of the Executive Director, Communications & Marketing, including providing project management within the Communications and Marketing portfolio.
- Bachelor's degree in Communications and fifteen years of related experience which includes experience leading large teams and managing complex projects, or an equivalent level of education, training, and experience.
- Proven communication strategist with a results-driven focus.
- Excellent knowledge and expertise in client service management and trusted advisor principles.
- Excellent knowledge of marketing, branding, and communication theory and practice.
- Excellent communication and marketing skills across all aspects of communications and public relations programming (e.g., media relations, marketing, events, partnership outreach and engagement, thought leadership).
- Excellent analytical reasoning, organizational, interpersonal, conflict resolution, and negotiation skills.
- Proven leadership and excellent relationship, supervisory, and team management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent collaboration and consensus building skills.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment, exercising mature judgment and a high level of diplomacy and discretion.
- Ability to establish, evaluate, and execute short and long range goals.
- Ability to work on a variety of initiatives, establish priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Proficient in the use of communication applications, systems, and tools.