ABOUT DESTINATION BC
As a newly created Crown Corporation, Destination British Columbia promotes the development of tourism in British Columbia, marketing the province worldwide with other industry partners. Through innovative approaches and leading-edge marketing initiatives, Destination British Columbia is responsible for ensuring the long-term growth and prosperity of British Columbia’s $13.4 billion tourism industry.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Search Engine Marketing Specialist manages paid search marketing programs for all consumer websites for Destination BC, works closely with Destination BC’s contracted search marketing agencies, and acts as a subject matter expert for paid search-related activities.
Reporting to the Marketing Manager, North America Consumer Programs, the Search Engine Marketing Specialist is responsible for driving qualified web visits to Destination BC’s consumer websites through Pay-per-Click (PPC) programs such as search and display network (remarketing and contextual) advertising on Google and Yahoo Bing networks.
Collaboration, communication, and relationships are critical to the success of this role. This role will develop and manage strong working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders, including search marketing agencies.
SPECIFIC ACCOUNTABILITIES / DELIVERABLES
- Manage PPC campaigns for multiple Destination BC consumer websites and markets including, but not limited to:
- www.hellobc.com – Consumer site for Canada and the United States
- www.hellobc.com.mx – Consumer site for Mexico
- uk.britishcolumbia.travel – Consumer site for the United Kingdom and Ireland
- de.britishcolumbia.travel – Consumer site for Germany
- au.britishcolumbia.travel – Consumer site for Australia and New Zealand
- Manage the day-to-day paid search activities including campaign planning, implementation, budget management, performance management, and optimization.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders and contracted search marketing agencies to implement and manage all key components of PPC campaigns - including keyword search and selection, bid management, ad group, ad copy, localization, and landing pages – across multiple search engines (e.g. Google, Bing, etc. ) utilizing a variety of tactics (e.g. search and content network advertising, remarketing, etc.)
- Liaise with and manage contracted search marketing agencies to ensure projects are executed on plan, on time and on budget. This includes approving all projects prior to implementation.
- Monitor, analyze and report on paid search performance and budget, and optimize campaigns and spending to meet objectives.
- Execute tests to maximize results and ensure positive return on investment (ROI).
- Develop and manage the annual paid search marketing strategy and plan in collaboration with internal stakeholders and contracted search marketing agencies, ensuring that it aligns with the tourism strategy.
- Own and manage the relationship with contracted search marketing agencies, contract management (preparation, review, administration, monitoring and renewals), budget management, and invoice review and processing.
- Collaborate with internal teams on Search Engine Optimization (SEO) campaigns to improve organic page rankings.
- Engage with various teams for online content, website functionality and marketing campaigns that need to be promoted by Paid Search Marketing
- Maintain strong knowledge of SEM and digital marketing trends and best practices, assess new tools and tactics and provide recommendations where appropriate.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree or diploma in Business, Marketing or a related discipline.
- Minimum 3 years of hands-on experience in PPC campaign creation and management. This includes keyword research, campaign creation, ad copy development and implementation, bid management, and tracking and reporting.
- Experience with web analytics tools including Google Analytics.
- Experience in project management.
- Experience working with and managing external vendors, such as search marketing agencies.
- Experience producing project briefs, reports and decision-making documents for agencies and internal stakeholders.
- Strong knowledge of SEM, SEO, online advertising, and other online marketing trends and best practices.
- Experience in destination marketing would be an asset.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including brainstorming sessions, presentations, status reports and project documentation.
- Proven ability to collaborate with, participate in and/or guide project teams, agencies, external partners and clients.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Extremely detail oriented.
- Exceptional time management and multi-tasking skills.
- Aptitude for managing and delivering against multiple projects simultaneously.
- A positive attitude and strong initiative.
- Demonstrated tact, judgment and facilitation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to convey, interpret and present data and information to senior managers and executives.