School Communications Specialist
Boost school community connections by providing communications support for the Peel District School Board.
Reporting to the Manager of Communications, Communications Support Services team, you will provide direct communications support to schools and act as the first contact for principals, vice-principals and teachers. More specifically, as a School Communications Specialist, you will be involved in:
- providing direct support to schools by handling all inquiries from principals, vice-principals and teachers and determining the communications support required;
- writing news releases to promote school activities and events;
- assisting schools in developing communications plans, campaigns for events, activities, and programs;
- supporting schools and departments during crisis;
- developing materials and communication resources for school councils;
- developing and delivering presentations to internal and external audiences;
- coordinating the development of the monthly electronic camera-ready article package;
- coordinating and planning special events;
- assisting with maintaining web communications tools;
- coordinating print production for various projects;
- liaising with community organizations;
- assisting in the development of tip sheets and fact sheets;
- managing one or more of the Board’s social media accounts; and
- performing other duties, as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
As a School Communications Specialist, you will be able to apply your:
- Diploma in Public Relations, Journalism, Communications or a related field.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of related experience.
- Excellent writing and communication planning skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including SharePoint and PowerPoint.
- Experience with web design, content development and social media.
- Ability to work under high pressure and tight timelines.
· Demonstrated commitment to working in a diverse school community and/or work environment.
- University degree in a related field;
- Understanding of the public sector and educational issues.
For the application process and additional information, please visit our web site at http://www.peelschoo..obpostings. Applications in writing must be received no later than 4:30 p.m. on Friday, December 9, 2016.
The Peel District School Board is one of the largest school boards in Canada, with more than 153,000 students in 253 schools.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants, but will only be interviewing selected candidates. For the safety of students, all school board staff need to provide a satisfactory criminal record check prior to commencement of employment.
The Peel District School Board is committed to equity in employment. We will provide reasonable accommodation, based on any of the human rights protected grounds, during the hiring process if advised in advance.