School Communications Assistant
If the opportunity to use your writing, editing, project coordination, event planning and public relations skills appeals to you, this contract position (to March 31, 2017) with the Peel District School Board (PDSB) is for you.
Reporting to the Manager of Community Relations, you will assist with all aspects of communications support, including school crises and incidents, promotion of student achievements and school activities for various student success initiatives, as well as the coordination of communications projects and special events.
Your specific duties as a School Communications Assistant will include:
- supporting communication and marketing strategies and materials to promote student success initiatives, including web and social media management;
- communicating information about the initiatives to Board staff and students;
- supporting schools and departments during crisis situations;
- planning and implementing events for students and teachers, including booking keynote speakers and liaising with outside agencies;
- managing project timelines;
- creating presentations;
- writing news releases and promoting or pitching story ideas to news media;
- managing sections of the Board’s website, including writing and editing website content and coordinating external graphic design, video production and other services to enhance the website; and
- performing other duties, as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
As a School Communications Assistant, you will be able to apply your:
- Community college diploma in Public Relations, Communications or a related discipline
- Two (2) to four (4) years of related experience
- Excellent computer skills, including experience with social media, Microsoft Office Suite, SharePoint and other web development software
- Excellent written and verbal communication and proofreading skills
- Excellent research and note-taking abilities
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated commitment to working in a diverse school community and/or work environment
The Peel District School Board is one of the largest school boards in Canada, with more than 152,000 students in 250 schools.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants, but will only be interviewing selected candidates. For the safety of students, all school board staff need to provide a satisfactory criminal record check prior to commencement of employment.
The Peel District School Board is committed to equity in employment. We will provide reasonable accommodation, based on any of the human rights protected grounds, during the hiring process if advised in advance.